1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheney blood clot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Doctors found a blood clot in Cheney's leg, or so says CNN. He's apparently back at work.

Discuss.

I'll try to find a link.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We need to see the MRI before we can render an opinion.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Boom, hadn't you better get cracking on an official SportsJournalists.com letter of condolence?

Forge my signature.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Don't you have to have blood running through your veins to get a blood clot?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Perhaps this is why a guy with a history of circulatory problems doesn't fly around the world more often.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Never cheered for a clot before. Oh well, there's always a first time.
    [​IMG]

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Can we get DocTalk in here to expound upon the potential consequences, healing time, etc.? I for one don't wish on Cheney, although as a person I find him repugnant. Bad Karma, folks. Bad Karma.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Not so long ago, patients with blood clots in their legs would require hospitalization for intravenous heparin to thin their blood as they were transitioned to another blood thinner (warfarin). It takes a few days for warfarin to get to therapeutic levels, so the immediate thinning of heparin was required. Newer medications like Lovenox are injected subcutaneously, like insulin, and can be taken twice a day at home to immediately thin the blood, while the warfarin is starting to take effect.

The major complication of a leg blood clot is the potenital for it to break loose and travel to the lung causing a pulmonary embolus, which can be deadly.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you Doc.

And everyone else...remember....

Karma is a bitch.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

CLOT! CLOT! CLOT!
    I keed, I keed. Well, almost.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Dick Cheney -- the Keith Richards of politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.