1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleaders at girls games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Usually, it's not the same six cheerleaders at every game. Just like how it's not the same person dressed as the mascot at each game. There's a rotation to make sure no one's having to cheer six days a week.

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Ready! OK!
    I've got school spirit, yes I do.
    I've got school spirit, and questions, too:
    1. If the Duke chess club prepares a flier for distribution at their next meeting announcing that they will have an outing to the men's Duke-UNC game, is the club then required to have an outing to the Duke-UNC women's game (Actually a great game to go to)? And must the same number of club members attend both games? The chess club is school funded and they are there to support their Dukies.
    1A. What if it was football players going to the men's game to support the team. Must they then attend the women's game?
    2. Men's and women's programs are not, according the the rules, always equal. Women use a smaller basketball. A softball is not a baseball. Looking at that, shouldn't those issues be addressed before we rewire the world. The cross country girls run the same distance as the guys. The female wrestlers have to make the same weight as the male. A female football player would be required to follow the same rules (of the game, the hazing, as has been reported, is disgusting). Swimming 50 meters is swimming 50 meters.

Anyway, some of our high schools have saved money by keeping the cheerleaders at home games only, with JV at JV and varsity at varsity. Others use the JV for the girls and varsity for the boys. As for the school with a boys basketball team and no girls team, I guess the girls cross country team or tennis team (they have those) should demand cheerleaders at events. While I'm all for supporting girls athletics (I have a daughter), I can't see a cheerleader running four miles yelling "Go, Lacy," the whole time. As for tennis, the whole quiet thing screws up a good routine.
    BTW, cheerleading is a sport, not a support service. If Title IX interpretations take away the sport label, isn't that a slap in the face to the movement to get a predominantly girls sport recognized as legit? Sounds like Title IX is giving equality to some females at the expense of others.

Draft saved Draft deleted