1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering on press row -- live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

One major college football place which shall remain nameless. Had people yelling and screaming in the back row of the press box. Right behind the visiting media. Told them 3 times to pipe it down. Then, called SID over.

Reminds me also, used to cover a low D-I hoops team and anyone would go on press row, it was open season.

I one time had a 17 year old kid sit next to me and cheer. I told him he couldn't do it since it was press row. Does he leave? No. Kid watches the game and doesn't show any emotion. It was like he was working. All he had to do was sit in the bleachers, 5 rows back, and could yell all he wanted too. I just found that weird.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know, the guy who started this thread works for one of the so-called fan sites. Don't just assume those are the guys doing fanboi crap. There are more real journalists going to work at those sites all the time.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

His dad was probably some Daddy Warbucks type for Hometown U or owner of the local TV station---or both. :)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe the guy's team was down and needed some extra cheerin'.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I didn't.

I may soon be one of them. Please don't misinterpret what I posted. I didn't assume anything. I just posed a question and made an observation about the changing times and how they might affect the perception of the SIDs and those running press row -- and how the possible absence of a news organization to help monitor such behavior could help change things too.

It's possible my "citizen journalist" joke a few posts earlier colored how my later post was interpreted. Hope I didn't offend anyone who's a legitimate reporter.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the kid wanted the media POV? Those still in the profession could be only so lucky if someone still wanted to be part of the increasing madness.

At a university which shall remain nameless, I was sent to a seat in the press room because the one immediately below was already full, perhaps overflowing.

It was a great experience. That wasn't what necessarily spurred me into the biz for a while, but I won't forget it anytime soon.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife and a friend had tickets to the D-I game I covered tonight. Turns out she was sitting 10 seats to the left in the row behind me. No one else was sitting on the whole back row of press row, so I had them sit with me. She knows the rules and never cheered, they watched the game, chatted and I did my work. No harm, no foul. Right?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No problem, JD. I can be a little touchy on that topic.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If it's a working press area and they're not working, they don't belong there.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think it would depend on whether there are seats on press row that aren't being used and whether the SID gives a rat's ass who sits there. At the university I cover on rare occasions, they'd welcome the wife and her friend and anyone else they'd like to bring just to make it look like somebody actually belonged there, besides the one or two beat guys who have to be there. This is also a university - a D-1 school, mind you - where I have actually counted the "crowd" at home basketball games.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. It's the behavior that is in question. If you want to be treated like a professional, then act like one. Sheesh, when I was in university and covering stuff for the darn student paper, I still acted like a professional. Not too much to ask.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I covered a basketball game Saturday night.
    Low level D-I.
    They had a half-time BINGO game. I played. Even told the PA guy I needed some Gs and Os so I could go home a winner, unlike his suck ass team. They ended up winning by the way. Last-second shot.
    Did I commit a journalism sin? 'Cause if I did, it felt good. I even had a plan to chuck my winnings into the stand.

Draft saved Draft deleted