1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheering in the Clemson pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magnum, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness gracious.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Adam, Skip and now Dan? What a trifecta for the week.

3. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Maybe most would, and that's fine. The stats guys at Clemson obviously didn't.

If, at one school, the folks you mentioned decided they'd prefer a more boisterous environment though, would that be wrong?

4. Pete Williams

Pete Williams New Member

One of my favorite press box experiences took place at Clemson.

Late 1980s, I'm there as a student newspaper reporter from Univ. of Virginia. My colleague is doing a slow burn over a crusty old veteran writer smoking next to us, one Camel after another. I dislike smoking as much as anyone, but knew better than to complain.

Finally my colleague can't take it anymore and approaches a press box attendant. "Sir," he says, "Can you smoke in the press box?"

Guy smiles and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Sure can, son. And you can dip, too."

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. Pretty basic stuff.

http://www.cosida.com/About/codeofethics.aspx

6. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

A good point, Point of Order. I supposed I should re-phrase my question.

If an SID decided CoSIDA's value didn't align with his own and left the organization, and the folks at his or her school you mentioned decided they'd prefer a more boisterous environment though, would that be wrong?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why does cheering need to be allowed? If you want to cheer, but a ticket.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be wrong. The press box exists because it is a workplace. That requires a professional environment in which people can get their work done.

People cheering is loud and distracting. It is not conducive to getting work done. If it wasn't a workplace, there wouldn't be a press box -- they'd sell those seats. Then you could cheer all you wanted.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly, and it's not just sports writers. Broadcasters, SIDs, statisticians, pro scouts, even sometimes league and school administrators are all trying to do their jobs there. It exists so people can work in a professional environment. If you want to cheer most major college stadiums have at least 40,000 places you can sit and do so, just not in the press box.

10. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

I think my point is getting lost. If the five other people in a high school press box besides the reporter are cheering, is that wrong?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

First off, the expectation of professionalism with just about anything regarding high school football is much lower than major college football.

But yes. Is it evil, no. But it's wrong in a sense that it's not what you are supposed to do. If you are there to operate the scoreboard or spot for the radio announcer, then do that. If you want to cheer (out loud) for your school then sit in the bleachers.

12. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

I don't think it's that difficult to both. Thousands do it every Friday night. Why should reporters demand everyone else in a press box conform to their ethics?

Draft saved Draft deleted