1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Checking your manhood

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Not sure if this is a D_B, but just saw this on the wire. The checking the manhood part was just typical coach speak. But the reaching in to check it and the biggest genitalia comment may have gone a tad too far.

High school coach in Maine fired after telling players to ’check their manhood’ in pep talk
    LEEDS, Maine (AP) — A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to “check their manhood,” administrators said.
    Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that “tonight’s game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town.”
    “He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood,” Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.
    All but one player followed the coach’s instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.
    Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk “normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California,” but said he still should not have done it.
    “Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I’m paying the price for it,” Remillard said.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope the one kid who didn't do it said something like,

"Sorry, coach, I don't have room to put my hand down there."

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't see what the problem is. They won.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What a joke.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, at least Coach didn't check their manhood.

6. seth148

seth148 Member

My boss asks me to do this on a regular basis.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

These people who bitch and moan about coaching tactics, motivational speeches and verbal jabs and barbs at halftime have SO OBVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED A SPORT - IN THEIR LIVES!

And, the kid(s) who didn't check their manhood and/or leaked it/complained should have the snot beat out of them after school.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sarcasm font on? :)

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That might be the one instance in sports where cheerleaders would have been useful, and appreciated.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Supposedly, he said the same thing, but now denies it.

Coach fired for telling players to 'check their manhood'

LEEDS, Maine (AP) _ A high school coach who told his players at halftime to reach into their pants to ''check their manhood'' before returning to the basketball court was fired.

Mike Remillard was confronted after Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett learned that the coach told his players that the Jan. 23 game against Mount Ararat ''was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town,'' Hartnett said in a statement.

''He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood,'' Hartnett said. All but one player followed the coach's instructions.

Hartnett's statement was read by School Administrative District 52 Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson during Thursday night's regularly scheduled school board meeting. The statement came a day after the coach was dismissed.

In the statement, Harnett said Remillard confirmed that the boys were asked to check their privates. Asked if that was an appropriate motivational tactic, the coach responded by saying ''we won,'' Harnett said. But the tactic also got him fired.

Remillard, who cites Texas Tech basketball coach Bob Knight as his role model, told the Sun Journal newspaper that having his players ''check their manhood'' is ''normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California.''

Nonetheless, he said he shouldn't have done it.

''Was that tactic appropriate? No. And I'm paying the price for it,'' he said. ''I can pay that price because I accept my responsibility, and I'm being accountable.''

But he denied responding ''we won'' when asked about the tactic. ''What I told him was, the tactic worked,'' Remillard said. ''We played like the young men that we were or could be. That's what I said. I never said, 'Well, we won.'''

Hartnett said it wasn't the first time school officials had met with Remillard to discuss inappropriate comments the coach made to his players.

The firing happened Wednesday when the school board went into executive session. Hartnett said he felt compelled to make a statement because of publicity surrounding the firing.

The firing had nothing to do with an incident in which Remillard alleged he was assaulted by the father of a varsity player after Leavitt's win at Morse High School in Bath on Tuesday.

A Bath police officer on duty at the game, who responded to a report of the disturbance, is still investigating the incident. Remillard reiterated Thursday night that he plans to press charges against the parent.

11. Coach shoulda hired me as his PR man ...

"Yes he told them to check their privates ... he didn't want anyone getting a hernia on the field."

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ain't it funny how whenever they want to make a point, these rough-tough, macho-man, Sgt. Buzzcut-type coaches always go straight for the pee-pee??

Myself, I hardly ever devote any thought at all to the genitalia of teenage boys, but it seems like these drill-sergeants of the locker room can hardly ever get their minds off 'em. :eek: ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted