1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Checking Luggage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the last few weeks, a few posters here have made mention about how the airlines lost their luggage when flying from here to there. In this day and age, who the hell checks their luggage anymore? I mean I don't fly all THAT often, but it's been at least 10 years since I checked a bag with the airlines. Who can't fit a few days worth of clothes into one carry-on sized suitcase anymore? They allow luggage the size of a pirate's treasure chest now.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I flew a couple weeks ago and checked bags because I was gone for about a week. Plus, it was my first time flying commercially so I didn't know any better.

I'm flying to North Carolina in September for a weekend. I probably won't check luggage for that trip.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I lost my baggage. I'd still check before trying to carry all that shit on because 1) I don't want to haul all that stuff around an airport and 2) planes are small enough as it is. No need to further make life difficult on your fellow passengers by hauling around an entire trip's worth of clothes and 3) I've been flying reuglarly since I was 4, and my bag has gotten lost once. It almost never happens, so again, why inconvenience you and everybody else by lugging around a suitcase?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Who can't fit a few days worth of clothes into one carry-on sized suitcase anymore?

Me.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Friend of mine went on a week's vacation with the family. One of the bags he needed to check had a bunch of his clothes and his 5-year-old son's clothes in it. Airline lost the bag. Now to get the money for the lost bag and it's content, the airline is making him jump through all sorts of hoops - a signed, notarized list of what was in the bag; documentation that the bag was lost; and all sorts of other stuff.... plus they may make him produce receipts for some of the items (and who saves clothing receipts?).

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Throw a few things in a backpack for an overnight or 2-day trip and be done.

Pack a small roll-on and pack wisely.

Airlines are dicks about reimbursement for "lost" luggage. A pal shipped a big package last year and the last place the airline knew it existed was in Louisville.

After that, it vanished. An airline dickweed had him a new bag of goodies. The airline shrugged, foisted a bunch of paperwork and didn't care.

First time to fly commercial? Your private jet break down or something?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I just don't fly. I've been up in Cesnas a couple times, but those were joy rides, not to a destination.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

On short trips, I'll sometimes try to carry on, but I've got no problem checking, and if it's the Captain family flying for any extended amount of time, there really isn't a choice.

Yes, we've had luggage mis-routed before, but never lost where it was never located. Not bad if it's the return leg, definitely a bother if it's on the way somewhere.

And like sc, why should I have to haul the stuff all over the airport when the airline will do it for me? Not to mention fighting the race to claim overhead space. Too much of a hassle for me.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't we just have a thread about this?

I always check my luggage because I don't want to carry all of my stuff around the airport. Though, I have been lucky I guess and never had any of luggage lost.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ever since they went to the bullshit rules about toiletries I stopped carrying on.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hate security and connections, and to cut down on the hassle of both I'll almost always check the suitcase.

It's almost a dare on my part for the airlines to lose it, if I get screwed they're going to pay. Traveled to my grandfather's funeral several years ago, Delta lost my bag and it took 48 hours to get it back. In the meantime the funeral was held and I had to buy all new clothes. I saved every receipt and sent them along with a strongly-worded letter and a copy of my grandfather's funeral notice from the newspaper. Airline covered every cent. I shoulda bought nicer shoes.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The majority of my flights are done on the planes that have one-seat aisles on one side and two on the other. That means only one carry-on, and it has to be smaller or checked underneath.

With my average trip being five days, and needing at least six outfits, shoes and hair products...no, I can't carry on. I looked the other day...I don't even think my smallest bag fits in carry-on.

Draft saved Draft deleted