1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating Patriots coach faces more scrutiny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, May 8, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, of course not. And that's why all of the other teams in the league are pressing for this matter to stay in the headlines....oh, wait, they're not.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go help the fine folks at the RCA Dome pipe in some more crowd noise to give the home team an advantage.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That story was debunked immediately, fanboi.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course they're not. They're walking the company line and don't want something to linger in the headlines that causes a black eye for the league or hurts its credibility. Like the owners are going to pick fights with each other -- they never do.

4. It doesn't matter if everyone is doing it. Cheating is cheating, and if you get caught cheating, you face the consequences. You can't pull the little kid defense, "But everyone is doing it!"

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT! [/schiezainc]

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, they are :)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, they're not. If they were, rivals across the league would have turned in each other and Al Davis would have turned in the entire league. And yes, the Patriots might have have even turned in the Colts.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Dude, take off the fanboi glasses and take a look at what you're saying. Its not making sense.
    If you claim to be a journalist, being a fanboi is probably one of the worst sins you can commit, even if it's not with a team you cover.
    The Patriots cheated, and yeah maybe some people were making it a bigger deal out of it than it was. But people do that about everything, not just the Patriots.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you feel that hating a team is just as bad as being a fan of them?

Just curious.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Being a fan is one thing, but being a fanboi is another.
    And I guess yes, it can be just as bad. If that hate gets in the way of your objectiveness.

Everyone is a fan of a team, a player, a coach I'm willing to venture. Just as I'm sure everyone hates a team, player or players or coach.
    But when that blurs your ability to look at something fairly, without a strong bias, then that's a problem. This guy's fandom, it appears to me, has made it impossible for him to look at the situation without automatically taking their side no matter how peculiar it might seem.
    I hope that makes sense!

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It does.

I am a huge fan of Pittsburgh teams (even though the Pirates make it really hard), and I would never of tried to write anything halfway objective about them.

I have just felt that this forum is a safe haven to be a fan. I know not everyone here agrees with that, though.

I do agree though that you have to be objective.

For example, the o-line of the Steelers scares me to death next year, and I could see them going 7-9 or 8-8.

12. There is a huge difference between acting the fanboi part on here and doing it as a part of your job, I'd say.

Draft saved Draft deleted