1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating on your wife: A tradition like no other

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, I remember reading an article about Nance more than 10 years ago, might have been People magazine and a quote from his wife saying "He's as good of a dad as he can be." And I remembered thinking - "huh?" - is that code for something?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BS.

I think he looks bad when he cites her "lack of support" of his career because she stops traveling to be Caroline's mother. And, sorry, his tapping that sub-30 ass can't have enough lipstick put on that pig.

And, the scene at the end is gripping.

There's a lean, I suppose. But I thought it was pretty good.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Agreed. My crotchety old Journalism 101 prof would have kicked my ass six ways to Sunday if I'd turned in a piece of tripe like that.

That paper would have been bleeding red ink from every graf.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This isn't really apropos of the subject, but I remember watching that NFL game NBC did back in the early 80s without announcers, and it was hard as hell to figure out what was going on. I mean, you could follow it if you stayed glued to the TV, but who does that when they watch a game? So, yes, a good announcer does add something to a telecast. Not necessarily saying that Nantz is a particularly good announcer...

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is a car wreck.

That last paragraph was a nice objective report. It was befuddling though, if you can comfort your wife in that circumstance, at the end of the hearings, why could you have not resolved your differences before getting to that stage? Why drag it out to the end? Just agree to some division of property and move on without the character assassinations.

Clients want to be a crusader, then look back in hindsight and see the carnage and wonder "why?" Standard speech at the start, "you realize that being a crusader is expensive, correct? Whether its the $$$ for attorney's fees or the emotional cost.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True, but the enjoyment level is considerably different with certain announcers (are you watching Chip Caray's nightly train wreck on TBS?). Nantz is a very solid pro, and to be able to go from hoops to golf to NFL is impressive. Gotta give him that.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Divorce ... and custody battles ... make people do crazy things. I know from experience.

By the time you get to the end and you're done slinging crap at each other ... usually it's too late to salvage any kind of decent relationship. But you're right ... idf they could cry on each other's shoulder when it was over ... maybe they could have worked it out some other way and not bought their lawyers another BMW.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

She is a fine looking lady that will have no trouble finding another man ( poor sap) that will fund her trips to Ed Mitchels.

To me that is a store that just screams out -- I am a leeming. It's the Fairfield county uniform company.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That hair isn't cascading -- it's billowing.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd argue that all the graphic technology makes announcers -- good ones -- even more important. They are still games about people. If I tuned into that NE-Tenn game midway through the second quarter, I could see right away that it was an ass-kicking but I'd want to hear descriptions.

Saying people will watch regardless isn't the point. You need a traffic controller and a scene-setter, and Nantz is very good. I don't know what the going rate is for flagship broadcasters, but several million for Nantz doesn't alarm me.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's some of the greatest mall hair I've ever seen.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

She doesn't have a pretty mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted