1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheating on your wife: A tradition like no other

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Show, don't tell."

Did the reporter describe Nantz's hair or clothes in the piece? Unnecessary. Just the facts, ma'am.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That whole anecdote jumped off the page (er, ah, monitor) at me: "When Nantz began writing the book about his father, who died after suffering Alzheimer's disease, he said his wife forbid him to write it in the house. 'She didn't want to know anything about it. I ended up writing it in an office at Wingfoot.' "

If this is true, then here's the logical response:<blockquote>I'm sorry, Mrs. Nantz, but what the fuck is that crock of shit you're carrying around, ma'am? If <i>his</i> money paid for the damned house, he should damn well be able to write <i>any</i> damn book he wants to in the house <i>he</i> bloody well paid for. And if you have a problem with <i>any</i> of that, Mrs. Nantz, I have two words for you: Tough shit.</blockquote>Absolutely ridiculous.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Classy that he was cheating in general, or that he met the chick while on tour promoting a book about his dead dad? Hopefully, you say cheating in general, cause I hardly think the contents of the book matter. I mean, would you think more highly of him if he started dating a chick on the side while promoting a book about the Wing-T offense?

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I was more thinking of how the "poor guy" had to retreat to the "slums" of Winged Foot to do his writing...

... Perhaps the most exclusive golf club in the entire NY metro area. I'm sure he suffered greatly with the occasional interruptions of someone yelling "fore" and with the smells of cigar and brandy.

But I'm surprised by this divorce and that they would let it go to trial. Nantz was always known as "Mr. Clean Jeans."

I guess when midlife crisis strikes, it doesn't mess around.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just remember to let Mr. Luggy hang his oil paintings wherever he wants to.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ace, would your wife let you hang a huge oil painting of you in the house?

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Isn't there a conflict of interest with him selling Titlest balls while covering guys who play with Titlests?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If my wife made $7 mil a year, I'd let her hang any picture she wanted in the house.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 points for the rant.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In positive terms, the marriage lasted longer than the Politics board...

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've wanted to hang a big swordfish over the couch in the living room for about 22 years without success.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. In the basement.

Draft saved Draft deleted