1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cheating for an award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by incognito, Jan 17, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point. It would also help to know if you have a decent working relationship with this guy or not.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

You could, however, ask to see the list out of "curiosity" and see whether or not he is evasive about showing you.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I would definitely call him out on it. It's your work, he shouldn't get the credit for it.

It reminds me of when I just started at the paper I'm at now. I happened to mention a pretty cool story idea that I discovered, and asked him if he wanted me to do it. He said, "maybe." Then, a week later, the story ran with his byline. I was pretty pissed and called him on it. He said he didn't know I wanted to do it. Nothing really came of it, but I felt better for having defended myself.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like how Whitlock can just floor you from right field like that.

5. incognito

incognito Guest

His writing was in a reporter's notebook of his that he left sitting at the computer I was using, after he had used the computer earlier in the day. It was open to the page I described above -- it caught my eye because I saw written down a headline I was particularly proud of from one of my pages that he had used as the title for that page. Honestly, for all I know, he's already entered that stuff to the contest and that notebook page is old. I really don't know -- this could be a moot point by now.

As for my working relationship with this guy -- cold, to say the least.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Based on that information, I'd say you take Whitlock's advice.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Turn to him and say, "Hey! You've got my pages there! You going to enter them in a contest? That's great! Which one is it?"

And if he blows it off, yeah, let the ME know what's up...

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's a lot of dumbfucks in our business, you know?

9. statrat

statrat Member

I agree with Slappy. Just say you happened to notice it on his desk. Bust his ass.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

First off it's bullshit if he doesn't invite you to enter anything in the contest to begin with. I might approach him about that, say you want to enter some of the pages you have done, and not mention what you know. If he allows you to enter the pages you can find out if it was an honest mistake or if he's trying to pull one over on you.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can't believe someone would cheat to win awards, accolades or acclaim.

Signed,
    Barry Bonds

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted