1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chavez STFU

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WHA73, Jul 15, 2006.

1. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Chavez: U.S. support for Israel to lead to Holocaust
    Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Friday that U.S. backing of Israel is responsible for flaming tensions in the Middle East and putting the world on course toward another "Holocaust."

"The fundamental blame falls again on the U.S. empire. It's the empire that armed and supported the abuses of the Israeli elite, which has invaded, abused and defied the United Nations for a long time," Chavez said in a speech during a military act in Caracas.

"I'll seize this opportunity to condemn categorically and fully the aggression that the Israeli elite is carrying out against innocents over there in the Middle East," he said.

Chavez was referring to a new explosion of Mideast violence this week as
    Israel Air Force war planes began striking Lebanon after Hezbollah guerrillas captured two Israeli soldiers and killed eight others Wednesday in a cross-border raid into Israel. In response, Hezbollah has fired hundreds of rockets at northern Israel.

The Venezuelan leader charged that Israel is using excessive force

2. ogre

ogre Member

Chavez makes an anti U.S. statement about as often as I cut the cheese, so that is no big deal. Not sure when he became an expert on the Middle East. If Castro had something to add to this, would that matter? No. Am I going to continue to ask rhetorical questions and answer them? Maybe.

As for the actual meat of your post, everything that happens in the Middle East is about perspective. Most people who grow up in the U.S. have a hard time conceiving us vs. them mentality that pervades. If you do grow up there, and are told from early on that we are right and they are wrong, then you are going to fight to the death at the slightest provocation (sp). And anyone who thinks negotiations are going to solve that region's problems is just naive. Blood begets blood.

3. Also, since this US government tried to instigate a coup against him, then lied about it, it's unlikely Chavez will say very much that's good about us for the foreseeable.
    Ignore him.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

we can ignore his blathering but he's definitely someone to keep an eye on. you never know when he crosses the line into crazy dictator territory. and they have money down there (from oil), unlike in north korea.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Why?
    Chavez is right.
    Well, nothing he said is technically wrong. It can be argued, but you can't say that he is lying. At least in the portion that was posted.

6. Sounds like you'd really enjoy life in Caracas. When does your plane leave?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm trying to destroy America, but on the inside, so why leave?
    And, again, in what was posted, please point out the factually incorrect statements made by Chavez.
    That's all I'm saying.

8. ogre

ogre Member

Nothing is wrong with what he said. It's just irrelevant what he says. Simply taking sides with the opposition to your enemy isn't exactly bold action.

Does his government give money or aid of any kind to the Palestinians? What stake does his country have in this struggle?

He's just taking pot shots at American policy. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted