1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chattanooga tries to sneak some out the door

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The DOG started its zoned edition in NWA in the mid-90s, for what it's worth. And until recently, it was doing well.

2. Let me third the opinion on Jay Greeson. He's REAL good people (to use the SportsJournalists.com vernacular). Letting anyone go under these circumstances has to be killing him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

I met Jay very briefly, along with Messrs Tanner and Bush. Extremely talented people, as are all the sports staffers there.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Who was the preps writer cut loose?
    Know some folks in Chatty as well.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm quite sure it was intentional. Oh you BLOGGERS! and your sophomore humor ...

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And that is too bad. For a city the size of LR, the ArDemGaz is a fantastic paper that tries to cover anything and everything Arkansas.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dillard's, a LR-headquartered department store chain, is close to going belly up.

If that happens the bigger papers in the state will take a serious hit. Dillard's buys full-color half-page or full-page ads on the back of the Sunday A section in the larger papers. Every Sunday.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That won't be the only paper hurt if Dillard's goes. They're in much of the southern half of the US.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy's right. The AJC, The Herald, the Sentinel, man talk about falling dominoes.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm sure the guy appreciates the 10,000th lame joke about his last name being in a story about his losing his job.

Remember, this is the future!

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Thanks for reminding about the genius that is Ron Bush.
    A truly, truly unbelievable person whom I respect like none other in this business.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dillard's is one of the few big chains left that buys display ad space in the paper, which is charged a higher rate than inserts. Take that away and that's a death blow.

Dillard's pulled its advertizing from the original Gazette in 1990 after it published a critical story. That was what brought that paper down.

Draft saved Draft deleted