1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chasing the Dragon: this country's heroin epidemic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's not easy reading green ...

Big Circus and UPChip like this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

“If the dispatcher determines that the person whose overdosed is somebody’s that’s been part of this program for two previous overdoses and has not completed community service and has not cooperated in the program, then we wouldn’t dispatch,” Picard said.

Middletown official pitches 'three strikes, you're out' Narcan plan

Notably, this is J.D. Vance's hometown in Hillbilly Elegy.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Haters. Why draw the line at 2 overdoses.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jesus, this story from the Cincy Enquirer. Had a reporting team concentrate on heroin stories for a week in their region and it is just staggering. I'm only through Monday and already overwhelmed.

Seven Days of Heroin

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I told my 18yr old son this weekend while watching something on drug cartels (new Cruise movie I think) that the problem is not going to be solved by going after suppliers, the problem IMHO lies with the demand. Unless somehow we harness the demand, the drug problem will remain.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, dixie. I saw the link on Twitter at work and read the first day. Like you, I was overwhelmed.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is the editor in me, so I can't help it. I can't stand this line in its various forms:

When heroin and synthetic opiates kill one American every 16 minutes...

It has driven me crazy forever. It is a false statement. An American does not die from heroin synthetic opiates every 16 minutes.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I know I’m late on the response but I totally agree. There’s no way all those heroin addicts can coordinate it so well they each die 16 minutes apart. First of all they probably don’t have watches, hocked it for a high. Second, most addicts aren’t that organizaed or punctual.

cjericho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted