1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He'll end up being a Vet Committee pick in like 2062, a la Bobby Grich here in a couple years will get in decades after he finished playing.

There is a slight chance the writers put him in his last year on the ballot. By then you will have an electorate that will be willing to look at him differently than the old school voters.

At the very worst, he's a top 15 second baseman all-time. He's probably top 10 for a lot of people.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Grich thing is going to happen, right? Knowing what we know about baseball now, and how players contribute value, there is literally no reasonable argument against him.

3. Dick Whitman

We had a Rollins thread, by the way, but it looks like someone must have brought up Hillary Clinton at some point.

Jimmy Rollins: HOF?

4. Della9250

It will, but it would help if they put him on a ballot first. His next three voting years are 2019, 2022 and 2024. It would have helped immensely if Simmons had gotten the one more vote to go in this time and open three slots on the ballot instead of two

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think too many people thought of Bobby Grich as a Hall of Famer when he was playing, as much of a pain in the ass he was as an opponent. Maybe not the"off the ballot in one year" fate he suffered, but he never was going to get more than a token vote.

Given that they have that appeals process that puts guys in later, an extreme injustice for me would be Bobby Grich being inducted *if* Lou Whitaker is left out (and I don't think Whitaker belongs in).

The weird thing about saying that is that I think of Grich as a guy who got the most out of his innate talent (and then some) and Whitaker as a guy who probably was a little too content as a player, because things seemed to come so easy for him. Still.

7. Della9250

Whitaker is going to get in before Grich, if nothing for the reason that Morris and Trammell just got in and that will ramp up his candidacy even more.

8. Dick Whitman

I think that a lot of the divide here is how much of a curve a second baseman's offensive production should be graded upon. If Grich, Whitaker, and Utley were right fielders or first basemen - or almost any position other than catcher or second base, really - no one is talking about either as a HOF candidate.

It would be interesting to take Ryan Howard's career offensive WAR and pretend he was a second baseman and see how it converts. And then do the same to Grich, Whitaker, and Utley, except make them first basemen or corner outfielders.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now is Ryan Howard even close to that at his position? Asking for a moderator.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bobby Grich’s scrappiness and Lou Whitaker’s aloof disregard for his natural talent are definitely reminders of a bygone era in sports mythology. I often think the same traits separated, just to pick two names totally at random, Steve Nash and Allen Iverson.

X-Hack and Dick Whitman like this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Whitaker, Simmons and Grich all belong in Cooperstown. How they all fell off the ballot so quickly just underscores how fallible the system for election is.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Jimmy Rollins 46.3 WAR, .743 ops, 95 ops+

Jay Bell 37.2 WAR, .759 ops, 101 ops+

Can we get a Jay Bell thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted