1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlotte AP job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 18, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Because people are getting promoted and/or leaving the business? It's just a guess, not based on reading the thread or anything.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll echo the thoughts on Keith Parsons. He's a great guy and will be missed in press boxes around the Triangle.

3. Because the AP freakin' sucks. It's a brutally awful organization. Period.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That's an interesting answer.

5. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Why? :eek:

6. They'll shit in your mouth and then ask you to call it a sundae. They'll run you ragged, blame you for shit that's not your fault, etc. Imagine covering some far-off team/program once in a blue moon. Maybe some news breaks there. You don't have it? Then fuck you. It's your fault. I've never met a bunch of more arrogant, miserable people in my life.

I vowed to stop posting here, but any mention of the AP boils the blood they didn't suck from me.

7. slipshod

slipshod Member

Just to restore a bit of sanity here, the AP's last three major hires _ Seattle, Milwaulkee and Phoenix _ drew top talent from major daily newspapers. The vacancies were created by two transfers and one retirement, not anyone leaving the company There is an increased emphasis on writing quality and rewarding national writer jobs to those who are the best _ Pells, Nancy Armour, Paul Newberry. Tim Dahlberg, in my opinion, is the best writer in the organization and one of the best in the country (besides being an all-around good guy). You might guess what organization I work for, and I just finished my 30th year. I've been allowed to travel all over the world _ Japan, South Korea, Australia, Paris, Rome, Athens, Spain and more. It's been a great job. There are drawbacks but aren't there with any such position? Where I grew up, people have to REALLY work for a living. My job has been a blessing.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This statement cries out for a negative response.

9. I agree. I still cliche leads in virtually every story.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Along with 25 words between the noun and the verb.

And you have to like those 15 write-thrus to fix "garble."

And cutlines that hardly resemble the English language.

11. slipshod

slipshod Member

Whatever, I was trying to be honest but take all the shots you want. Did you read anything else I wrote? Or are you just looking to take cheap shots?
    I think we do good work in a challenging situation but obviously I'm not going to change any narrow minds here.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, and AP isn't narrow-minded when it refuses to take any blame or responsibility for any fuck-ups or to do anything to change the nonsensical cutlines that every newspaper is expected to fix.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) to infinity. Obviously no one at AP has any sort of clue what's happening in the newsrooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted