1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Weis is An ASS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 7, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The last two D-I-A coaches I interviewed were wearing shorts, and sandals and flip flops, respectively. Granted, their schools don't generate the media hype that ND does, but they're not exactly Louisiana-Monroe, either. And both of their SIDs went out of their ways to be helpful.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Francesa was an ass before he ever met Parcells. And Mangini is more of a Belichick disciple than a Parcells protegee. I think part of the problem with Mangini so far is that the Jets staff can take the general tone he is trying to set and mismanage it into something even worse than what was intended. I have to deal with every NFL team throughout the season. I'd rank the Jets front office, including the PR staff, as one of the three worst in the league.

As for Weis, I think it is a misguided attempt to shelter his players because he thinks of them as "kids," who need to be protected He's obviously not above media play--he was all over the place talking up the dying kid who called the first play in the USC game (Was it USC?) last year, for example. He doesn't mind something like that, because it puts the focus on him and takes it away from his players. I understand that kind of coach thinking. It's just that when you cross a line to where you are outright alienating the media and making it impossible for them to do their jobs, it's eventually going to have the opposite effect you were hoping for.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With the power of SJ .com this one could really backfire.

Let's hope that the SE at Southbend Trib has a spine. Unlike Melinda Gorham at Huntsville Times - Remember what she did to her writer - Paul Gattis.

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Is that so but hey look on the bright side look at what he did for that school last year, he brought them to be one college fooball's best and this year looking to take the title cause they will be ranked number after like the first two weeks.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't remember who it was--might have even been you, Ragu--but someone made a great point when noting that Tom Coughlin, a noted hardass and someone who seemed to take great delight in giving the media as little to work with as possible (someone here once posted that he used to put an hourglass on his podium during his BC press conferences), has adapted to fit the Giants' M.O. instead of vice versa. The Giants are a legitimate operation. They're smart enough to realize you can't base media relations on your performance on the field and smart enough to realize their way has been successful so there's no need to change it up.

The Jets, on the other hand, are more leader less than ever with Tax Break Johnson in charge. Oh, we sucked last year so let's get a Belichick disciple in! Herm talked to too many reporters so let's get someone who won't talk at all! That'll fix things and good!

Of course, five years ago, when Woody took over, the Jets were all about cutting down the Parcells tree.

What a joke of a franchise.

I feel bad for some of the PR people there. I think the ineptitude comes from up top.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

So, Cockdian, just wondering: How long ago did you become a member of MENSA?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. It's all due to Weis. Notre Dame football was nothing before him. Ever.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The ineptitude always comes from the top. In most cases, a PR person is a jerk because that's how he or she has been told to act. It's rare you see a PR person go off on their own to be an idiot without the boss' OK.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The coach's job is to win football games and keep players eligible -- in that order, sadly. Controlling media access is not a job requirement, but a personal choice.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, but there's always Jay Horwitz, who has been an inept bully ever since little Jeffy Wilpon was playing third-string catcher for Miami.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Maybe we could re-name this thread Charlie Weis is a Paris Hilton Ass Goiter.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That would be the best thread EVER. :D

Add "Hating Charlie Weis" to the list of things the left and right agree upon here.

Draft saved Draft deleted