1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Strong to Texas ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 3, 2014.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Texas search has felt a little like the Tennessee/Derek Dooley fiasco. They didn't get a guy with a losing record but probably not their first choice.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Or Miami.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What am I missing with Strong here? Hasn't he been one of "the guys" the past several years people have been talking about getting one of these big-time jobs? Now he's linked to Texas and people are acting like it is a shit hire.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wondering the same. As DC at Florida was part of 2 National Championships and
    then proved he could be a successful head coach. I think it's a great hire
    for Texas.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But Saban has repeatedly said he's NOT interested. Folks can't seem to digest this important aspect of the "Saban to Texas" (non)story. Sheesh!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know who it was last night, but they had a great description of the Texas job: (Unlike most college football coaches) "You're not the governor there, you're the mayor - you have to please everybody."

I imagine people know this about the school - and if you've grown accustomed to people kissing your ass at your current job - I don't know how great the prospect is about having to cowtow to the various factions in the state.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Guess what. He's lying.

Anything and everything Saban says in connection with a job search must be assumed to be a lie.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Plus, the Tea-sippers are still 100 percent convinced that if they just sweeten the pot a little bit more, they'll get Saban to change his mind. And until there's an official announcement with Strong (or whoever) on the podium, there is indeed a chance Saban will change his mind.

9. mb

mb Active Member

I don't understand why we can't all just take Saban at his word. I mean, if he SAYS he's not going to be the coach at Alabama then that means he's STAYING in Mia ... oh, wait.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nick Saban is not walking through that door.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe not THAT door, but sooner or later he's walking through SOMEBODY'S door.

Draft saved Draft deleted