1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Strong to Texas ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

so sayeth Bobby Burton of 247 Sports:

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/New-Sheriff-In-Town-169422

Pat Forde, who is as plugged in at Louisville as anyone, thinks Strong would be a terrible fit in Austin:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-job-rumors-persist-as-jimbo-fisher--gus-malzahn-prepare-for-bcs-title-game-233710709.html

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They can make it work if they want to. Saban is a real dildo with the media too.

Just get him to smile a couple minutes every week and hire some slappy-happy media co-hosts to carry the load on the teevee show.

If he wins everyone will love him, and if he loses it wouldn't matter if he was Will Ferrell doing a comedy routine.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saban actually had it in his original Alabama contract that one Ford commercial per year was all the endorsement work he had to do (past Bama coaches have shilled Coca-Cola, Golden Flake, Bryan meats and other long-time sponsors). I think he now does a Coke commercial as well.

Saban also records his weekly coaches show on the field immediately after his post-game presser, as opposed to going to the TV studio on Sunday afternoon like every Alabama coach since Bryant has done (and most other coaches around the country do as well).

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I ain't skeered.

5. This.

But he's hardly what I would consider and "A," muchless a "B" lister.
    Oh how Texas has fallen.

6. Starman

Ehhhhh ... he's an A-minus lister.

He's at a BCS conference school and winning, the team seems to be getting better under him, he's young enough at 53 he could have a decade-plus run at UT.

If they're not going to get any of their dream-world guys, he's probably the best of the real-world alternatives.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I seem to remember reading that after the first year of the Longhorn Network, Mack was pretty pissed. He had a lot of commitments to LHN that someone else made for him. He wasn't real keen at all on how much time he had to put in on that.

8. Starman

I am sure word on stuff like that gets around in the world of the sports agents at lightning speed, and from then on the agents make sure to put a clause in the contract that the coach's media time obligations are pretty strictly spelled out.

If the coach is a real longshot without much leverage the school can say, "do you want the job or not," but if the coach DOES have leverage, he can say, "do you want ME or not?"

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's just a placeholder for when Major Applewhite becomes palatable to the T-sipping masses in 3 years.

10. Starman

What's Major Applewhite gonna do in 3 years which is going to anoint him as a savior? Go 48-0 in Division I-AA?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I figured a couple more days and Texas would have had Saban.

Especially after Bama got whacked. Perfect time for Saban to do a Saban again.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess to me the timing is interesting in that Briles and Mora just "reaffirmed their commitment" to their respective schools today. So they were clearly in the mix.

Strong was always one of the names talked about. Also the lone one mentioned who hadn't received a new deal since Mack's announcement. Strong will be fine. They said the same things about Mack Brown and I'm sure Darrell Royal's record (17-13) over three years at Miss. State and Washington, no finish higher than fourth had them cartwheeling through Austin. Those guys worked out okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted