1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charlie Cole Didn't Appreciate The Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know we have a hoops thread but this is pretty funny. Charlie Cole didn't care for this line of questioning after Miami lost to Kentucky last night.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anytime you can elicit a response like that, it's a great question.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Must have been an uber-stupid question because Charlie Coles is a classy guy. One of the better quotes in college hoops.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that was quite entertaining

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Coles doesn't need prompting, though. He's a quote machine in any circumstance.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Why don't you ask John why it was so close?"

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"You from Lexington! Oh. My. Lord!"

Enjoyed that.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"They shocked me back to life in front of my own bench so I could take questions like this?"

Seriously, I'm just impressed Charlie wore a jacket. When I was a student in the MAC, he went onto the court to protest a call and a buddy of mine yelled, "Hey, get that homeless guy off the court!"

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Coles was my favorite coach on the men's basketball beat when I was in college.

My favorite memory was a day when his team came to Athens and got run by about 25 against rival OU. With about 2 minutes to go and the game decided, Coles was bitching at an official about a bad call (a shitty call by a MAC referee? NEVER!).

Student section jumps on his case. "SIT DOWN CHARLIE!" (clap clap clap-clap-clap). He finally gives in, and (while the game is going on, mind you) drops to his knees and literally begs for mercy from the OU students. Crowd ate it up with a spoon.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Charlie Coles is hilarious. I got to interview him a few years ago and have been a fan ever since. He's got a screw loose but in one of those harmless ways that makes him even more likable.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True dat...

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As for the question, I don't think it's all that outrageous. One of the first comments on that youtube video is spot-on: Miami had an 18-point lead. So what happened, Coach?

If Gardner-Webb! can win in Lexington, why can't Miami hold onto an 18-point lead there? This isn't Pitino's Kentucky, or even Tubby's Kentucky. Big Blue is more than beatable. The landscape of college basketball is shifting. More and more programs are starting to blossom. It's not out of the ordinary for a Miami to have an 18-point lead on Kentucky. You have an 18-point lead, close that fucker out, even if it is Kentucky on the other end of the deficit.

Draft saved Draft deleted