1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charleston Airport evacuated; WV woman detained with explosive liquids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 17, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/3590966.html

Tri-State Airport in Wayne County has been evacuated. A perimeter has been set up, and evacuees are being asked to stand back 350 feet from the airport.

The Transportation Security Administration reports that a passenger's water bottle screened positive for an explosive material around 9:15 this morning. A second test was confirmed at 11:25. TSA is waiting for further testing to determine the exact substance.

NBC News reports that federal screeners found four containers of liquids inside a woman's carry-on bag during the screening process this morning. Larry Salyers, Tri-State Airport Director, tells WSAZ the woman is of Pakistani origin, lived in Jackson, Michigan and most recently lived in the Huntington area. She is being detained for questioning.

The flight in which the woman was going to board was on its way to Charlotte, North Carolina with a final destination of Detroit, Michigan.

FBI officials are on scene.

At least one flight has been diverted to Yeager Airport in Charleston. Salyers says it is uncertain when the airport will resume operations.

We'll continue to update you on NewsChannel 3 and on WSAZ.com.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK, I'm not sure what bullshit detector is going off more: The one on the alleged JonBenet killer or the one on the sudden rash of "incidents" at airports.

Maybe I'm making too much out of it, but we're 10 weeks til election day and all of a sudden there's a new incident every day.

Also, anyone else noticing that gas prices are starting to decline -- saw it here the other day for $2.66. Two weeks ago, when the pipeline ruptured, it was well over $3. Coincidence?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When the Heathrow incident happened it was speculated by several different media outlets that gas prices would actually drop as a result because the airlines wouldn't be buying up as much jet fuel.

4. Soylent Green is People! Soylent Green is People!!

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

$2.66?

We're still more than $3. :mad:

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I have yet to pay $3.00 or more for gas here.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if the airport thing is true, I can see terrorists making a run at getting on a commuter flight at a small airport.

Once you get past Barney Fife, you are home free anywere because they don't check you again. But four containers of liquids seems a bit ambitious, even Barney would find that.

Seems like the easiest way would be to get someone on the inside working at the airport and just hand the doctored Red Bull to someone beyond the screeners.

8. Just saw My Cousin Vinny on cable a little while ago. In backround was a gas station and sign for 78 cents a gallon. Movie didn't seem so dated until I saw that.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Was it explosive liquid? Or was it hand lotion? TSA doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference these days.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Pop Rocks flavoured Crystal Light?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Maybe it was explosive hand lotion. I'm sure some of that crap has to blow up.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, but that would somewhat of a lie, since the supposed planes that wouldn't be using the gas still flew and there really much of a real shutdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted