1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Barkley: Stats guys "never played the game"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 11, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Man, you gotta stop pinning a whole lot of importance on what Charles Barkley says. The guy tried to get out of a DUI by saying he was headed
    In this analogy, then, Morey would be the sniveling little shit who makes sure to tell everyone in the school how much smarter he is than them and how they should enjoy their life at McDonald's.

He is not an innocent bystander here.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

There really is no more debate on the use of analytics in sports, almost every team uses them. Obviously to different degress but that argument is only for the old grumpy sports writer and the dumbed down fans who still be things should be done as they were in the good old days.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LTL had him on his All-Tebow Team, along with honorary captain Kevin Maas.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are old black men typically taking a strong stand on the side of analytics?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think you're overstating my love for Jeremy Lin.

There is no All-Tebow Team. There is only Tebow.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think Morey wants to be part Billy Beane and part Mark Cuban.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Chuck shouldn't be afraid of numbers. But one thing going on here IMO is the intersection of analytics with the rise of social media and a bunch of hoops junkies who have a weapon to wield, even as they lack a lot of experience and inside-networking to talk with and learn from the principals.

Some of the cliched "guys in Mom's basement" were looking for a way to justify avoiding, and now even ridiculing, actual conversing with players and coaches -- while putting too much faith in numbers in a sport where so much happens between the players (vs. MLB's self-contained producers in individual confrontations).

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

given his driving inability Jenner is becoming an old Asian woman.

Barkley was Glen Beck before Glen Beck was Glen Beck

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the debate was could he play in the NBA or was he more than just a flash. I think he's become more than just a flash in the pan.

Not great, but a decent NBA bench player.

10. 93Devil

Maybe it was Popovich...

11. 93Devil

But Tiny was somehow decent enough to start on an NBA champion.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trent Dilfer started and won a Super Bowl as QB. Barkley never won a state championship in high school, an NCAA championship in college or an NBA championship. What does Barkley know about winning?

Draft saved Draft deleted