1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Barkley... like the guy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Feb 8, 2007.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Said he has no probs with gays. said he had like 2-3 in the locker room.

link would be good. searching for it..............

EDIT: Sorry, was drunk when I started this thread. I heard Charles' soundbite and thought it'd be interesting to start a thread about him. I like how pretty much everyone uses his thoughts because he's got the biggest mouth.

I also had no idea that i said "like the guy... (on gay dudes), probably insinuating i'd like to see his porky ass on top of a gay guy. So I edited the title.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Re: Charles Barkley... like the guy (on gay dudes)

Two or three in the locker room? Were they teammates or just guys he brought in off the street?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, he said "had a ton of gay friends. I've played with gays."

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He refused to pass the ball to any of his teammates, regardless of their sexual orientation.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'd like to think there is a player whose teammates know of and accept his homosexuality. If that's the case, it would likely be one of the strongest teams in professional sports.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wilbon nailed it today in the Post.

7. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck .... /T.O.

Barkley is the last person I'd picture being homophobic or against any sexual orientation that isn't heterosexual. Never met him, maybe it's just a public face he puts on, but he seems like a pretty open-minded guy and I heard his interview on PTI on XM and it truly sounds like he couldn't have cared less if someone came out while still playing.

Sounded pretty genuine to me.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

by saying...?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm curious...what is your thinking behind the second part of your post?

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My thinking is this: strong teams are (usually) all about character and leadership. They may not necessarily like/love each other, but they respect each other for what they contribute. Inside the locker room, they're professionals. And they'd likely wouldn't do or say anything that would alter that dynamic.

So, if a teammate was homosexual, it wouldn't matter to them because it has nothing to do with what's going on in the field, on court or on the ice.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've always been a believer in talent over chemistry, but I can see your point.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think that would be some pretty strong chemistry, oop.

Draft saved Draft deleted