1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chargers, Saints, Vikes to the courtesy phone: L.A. ready to get NFL back?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Roski plans 'major announcement' regarding NFL team in L.A.

April 16, 2008
    CBSSports.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES -- Edward P. Roski Jr., a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent several years trying to lure the NFL back to the Los Angeles area, believes his latest concept for a stadium could help finally land a team.

On Thursday, Roski will unveil his idea for a stadium in the City of Industry, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways some 20 miles east of Los Angeles, said John Semcken, vice president of Majestic Realty, Roski's real estate company.

The stadium would be surrounded by a high-end shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns.

"We've spent the last year designing a football stadium that is ideally suited for the Southern California marketplace that will be a part of a major entertainment, retail and office development," Semcken told the Associated Press.

"We want to take all of the uncertainty out of this stadium situation."

If a team committed to moving to Los Angeles, "we could begin construction in the final quarter of this year and have it ready for play for the first exhibition game in 2011," Semcken said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP that the league wasn't involved in Thursday's news conference.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh, for fuck's sake, this "NFL in LA" idea comes as often as a plate of bad oysters, and feels the same.

And you know the City of Industry is a shit hole if buckweaver is even knocking it.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Los Angeles Chargers of the City of Industry?

4. poindexter

It means that if someone from San Berdoo is knocking a city, said city really must be a dump.

Just a little early morning humor attempt.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And who's going to pay for the building of this big stadium? If I'm not mistaken, L.A. isn't jumping to the forefront about using taxpayer dollars for a new facility.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know it's early, but I looked at the person's name involved with this and thought it was missing the letter "k" and wondered why was he involved with the NFL going to LA... I mean it is possible; they both seem like windbags...

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yesterday, our NFL writer said, "Don't even run this story."
    I heard an NFL writer from SI on the radio this morning say that if you consider the top 10 issues for the NFL, a team in L.A. ranks about No. 23.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. I read the story and thought for a moment there was a letter missing.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Second-worst location. See Irwindale, Raiders.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Come on. You know it's too windy in Rialto. ;)

Seriously, City of Industry is a major shithole. Bad place for a stadium. Though I guess the thinking is it's "centrally located" in terms of L.A., O.C. and the I.E.

Whatever. This no NFL in L.A. story became boring about 1996.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's the site for the stadium.

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

And it actually looks like it's closer to being in Diamond Bar.

12. poindexter

[​IMG]
    Should be the answer whenever someone thinks about writing one of these dumb ass stories, UNTIL THE FINANCING IS WORKED OUT.

Ponderous, just fucking ponderous [/kasey casem]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted