1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charcoal grilling questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, May 3, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Stretch, in addition to propane tanks, you might want to get some of these....just in case there are looters. :)

[​IMG]

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

From Charbroil

Q: What is smoking?

Smoking is a slow and long cooking process that flavors and tenderizes meat. Cheaper cuts of meat can be used. You can smoke foods in a smoker, or you can use your grill. Because it takes time for foods to absorb smoke flavor, you should anticipate spending at least 30 minutes on the grill with the lid down. Use hard, dry wood chips that have been soaked in water and then drained. You can use a Char-Broil smoker box for your grill or you can wrap wood chips or chunks in aluminum foil with holes poked in the top. The temperature in the smoker should be maintained at 250 to 300 degrees F for safety.

Q. Would any wood work?

As a general rule, any hardwood that bears a fruit or nut is suitable for smoking or grilling. The wood must be well-seasoned; green or fresh-cut wood can turn food black and tastes bitter. Different woods have very different tastes. As a guide: pecan, apple and peach wood impart a mild flavor. Hickory, white oak and cherry add medium flavor. And heavier flavor comes from mesquite, blackjack oak or red oak.

----
    Some wood chips need to be soaked in water; others don't. Should say on the package.

Basically, you take a good size sheet of foil and fold it in two.... fold three sides back against the other until you make a pouch (think shirt pocket). Put the chips you want in the pouch and fold the fourth side. Punch holes in one flat side and set pouch on the coals with the hole side up. If you're doing it for a long time, like a roast or brisket, you might need to use a second pouch...

----

BBQ'rs Delight - Jack Daniels Pellets

These wood smoking pellets are super-compressed ALL NATURAL, REAL WOOD PELLETS which add a delicious, mouth-watering, smoke flavoring to all your outdoor cooked meals! They are easy to use and absolutely perfect for all of your outdoor cookers. They have been tested in a wide-variety of wood-fired, charcoal, gas-fired and electric barbecue and grill cookers! Simply make an aluminum foil pouch to hold the pellets (or use a cast iron smoker box) and place over the coals, gas fire or water pan of your electric grill and wait a few minutes for your pure wood smoke flavor. Pellets in a Pouch will smoke for 45 to 60 minutes. You can use another pellet pouch for longer smoking! A single use of BBQr's DELIGHT is approximately 1/3 of a cup of pellets. And a whole bag contains enough pellets for approximately 10 pouches. Enjoy!

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Way ahead of you JR...

I'm heading to the range in a week or so to try out a Glock 19, Sig Sauer P232, Beretta 92 and Springfield XD 9mm.

I was saddened by some of the stories I heard after Katrina went through New Orleans...people acting like animals.

There's no way I'm going to let some stranger get away with my new propane tanks or my charcoal stash ;-)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Go with the Sig. No matter how much shit people talk about Glock, Sig kicks its ass, hands down, IMO.

And now, back to your regulary scheduled topic.

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Have you ever shot a Springfield?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted