1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chant "air ball" ... get kicked out of stands and lectured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=540731

Holtz admitted that some of the super fans, who call themselves Lewie's Lunatics and the New Athletic Representation Department of Sports, went a little far in making up nicknames to use on their T-shirts, which included some sexual references. But he said the administration's reaction to the shirts was equally out of line.

He also said he didn't think it was fair that two students were kicked out of Friday's game for chanting "air ball" and another for wearing an inappropriate shirt. "It seemed like they blew everything out of proportion," Holtz said.

But Krecak characterized the students' behavior at the game as "harassment."

He said he was approached by a Greenfield parent after a couple of the team's players were targeted repeatedly by West students who yelled "air ball" every time the two got the ball.

---

The pussycatfication of America continues.

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I was at a high school game in which the student section got a good and loud "bullshit" chant going.

"Welcome to the game. For everyone's enjoyment, we'd like to remind you of the following rules. No talking. No smoking. No littering. No red meat. No freedom of religion. And remember, all marriages must be approved by the department of health. Failure to obey these rules will result in immediate loss of citizenship and deportation to the island of Los Angeles. Enjoy the game." </EscapeFromL.A.>

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would this have happened at a boys game? Probably not.
    But mommyand daddy can't stand to have their poor little girls subjected to something that might hurt their selfesteeem...

Fuck em all

4. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Slappy, you have just hit one on of my major pet peeves when it comes to prep sports. That girls should be coddled and boosted up. That's not equality to me. It's the furthest thing from it. It's an attempt to showcase the girls, on par with beauty contests and modeling.

5. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

Someone should have told that Greenfield parent, "Well if your daughter could have hit the rim at least you wouldn't have to endure that Air Ball chant, now would you?"

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Friend of mine coaches middle-school girls basketball. Last season, one of his girls shot an air ball. Someone in the stands starts chanting "air ball" every time she touched the ball. Coach turned around and it was the girl's father. Said after the game he wanted to "toughen her up."

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Watch your language! :)

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Reminds me of a story I once heard about Harold Ballard, tyrannical former owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs. One of his sons told a writer that the old man had stuck the son's finger into a light socket when he was a boy. When Mrs. Ballard confronted Harold about it, he said he was "just trying to give the kid some juice."

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

New Berlin West sucks! Go Tosa East!

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Next week's episode: Bobby Krecak mandates a group hug among all fans before and after games.

I had a principal like this in high school, and the thought of him still irritates me.

11. Toolbox

Toolbox Member

I was waiting to see if that was coming from anyone on this thread.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Group hug? That's a Canadian thing. Up here, it's shameful to improve. Every good team must LOWER their game/standard to that of the worst team in the league.

It's almost law.

Draft saved Draft deleted