1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes in Sports You'd Like to See/Would Make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Inspired by all the drop-ins on the World Cup thread about the changes they want to see in soccer to make it more "exciting," what changes would you like to see in certain sports?

I'll start. In basketball, unlimited fouls. After the sixth foul in the NBA and fifth in college and below, the opposing team gets two free throws and the ball out of bounds.

In the NBA in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter an in overtime, if you call a timeout in the last two minutes, you can either have a timeout or you can move the ball to the frontcourt. Not both. If you want to move the ball to the frontcourt, you take it out immediately. If you want a timeout to design a play, you take the ball out under your basket.

Others?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the NHL they have, what, one timeout per period? Or is it one per game? Whichever it is, put that in the NBA. And cut the timeouts in the college game by half.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

--No uniforms for baseball managers, they look like deformed Weebles.

--Dimensions of baseball parks should be identical. I know, charm of the game etc, but you'd never dream of football fields or basketball courts that varied in size.

--No more last-second timeouts to freeze the kickers during field goals.

--Better bathrooms for women in stadiums.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Couches?
    Heated seats?
    Bidets?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No individual ever gets judged by wins in a team sport again.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In baseball, no visits to the mound by anyone other than the manager.

In basketball, no getting a sideout by intentionally throwing the ball off an opposing player.

In football, a 15-yard penalty for giving the "throw the flag" gesture.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

NBA: No advancing of the ball to midcourt on timeouts.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rookie salary cap in the NFL. Some of the top picks in the NBA draft are already signed. Half of the first-round picks won't be signed in time to report to camp on time.

I'd follow the NFL's lead that anybody entering the NBA draft should have to be three years out of high school. It was a great move when they made it one, but they should add a year or two to it.

Instant replay in all sports.

Every sport should require athletes to undergo Olympic level drug tests.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

!993 Eastern Conference Finals
    I'd like to see Charles Smith throw the ball down and get the foul call. I'd like to see the Knicks beat Chicago and go on to sweep Phoenix.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd do the exact opposite: Get rid of instant replay in all sports.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

An NHL franchise in Hamilton.

It starts and ends there, sports fans.

After that, all NHL franchises in Canada because, damn it, they invented the game.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yikes, you want them naked? Maybe when Joe Torre retires, but otherwise....

Draft saved Draft deleted