1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at Syracuse University

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This may interest a few out there. The student-run newspaper at Syracuse University will eliminate its print edition on Fridays.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003845936

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sad, since you would think a student paper rakes in the cash.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Berkeley's paper also is going without a Wednesday print product.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shudder the thought Batman, how long before professional papers begin doing this?

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I don't know if this is the norm at other major universities, but when I was in college, the weekend basically started Thursday night and the campus was practically deserted between Friday and Sunday. Our student newspaper delivery guys always reported back that there were more leftover papers from the Friday edition than the rest of the week.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks for posting, BigSleeper. I misread the initial post and thought it was eliminating it's print edition starting Friday, not just on Fridays.

This makes much more sense to me.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Anything for you, milady.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:-* :) ;D :) :D :) :D :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

(I can't remember the actual order)

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

A well-run student newspaper can turn a decent profit, even in a downturn. The question is how well they adapt to changing revenue.

National advertising at student papers is way, way, way down from two years ago. I could see how a paper could have been caught flat-footed by the loss of a traditionally strong revenue stream and be forced to react the way the Syracuse and Berkeley papers have.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/08/25/daily9.html?ana=from_rss

I buy the Daily Cal's explanation faster than I do the Daily Orange's drop in readership argument.

The sad thing is that a well-managed student newspaper should've been able to stockpile cash during the good years to help it through the lean times. It doesn't have any investors it needs to be returning profits too. And they should make a nice little profit each year.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Our paper, I believe, had a circulation of 12,000. We always used to laugh about sticking the worst designers on Thursday night because who cares? Nobody read it on Friday anyway.

It was true - we probably had around 8,000 copies kicked back on Mondays because people didn't care.

Draft saved Draft deleted