1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Editude, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Received a note that Randy Harvey has been bumped up to assistant editor at the LA Times. No word yet on who might be replacing him as sports editor.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very, very interesting. Met Randy a couple of times during my time in SoCal and always liked him, and enjoyed him as a writer back in the day as well.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here are some details: http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/07/pre-holiday_putsch_at_lat.php#more

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Randy's a good guy, and I worked with Arthur. Good, traditional newsman and decent man who had expressed some dislike of the way things are going, so frankly, I'm not that shocked that he's gone, and in fact, might simply be surprised it didn't happen sooner.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like Randy stays on as sports editor and is adding the expanded duties/new title.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What gets me about the editor's memo is that the executive editor has to leave because he and the editor disagree about how to do things. I've never understood why agreement is a condition of employment. Willingness to carry out an order, yes. Agreement, why? If the editor is secure about his ability, he should want a deputy who sometimes will disagree with him about the most important issues, especially now when everyone is failing to pin the tail on the donkey. After reading his memo, I would find it incredibly difficult to have any personal or professional respect for the LAT editor. But I suppose it would be wise to hide that, wouldn't it?

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Frank, there's some history there involving the whole transition from Tribune to Zell Tribune, and Arthur, I think, has played the good soldier for a long time.

I think their differences probably just reached the irreconcilable stage.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We fill our newsrooms with people who are encouraged, even obliged, to question authority, to be highly skeptical of bureaucracy and groupthink, and we make our livings based on freedom of expression. But by God you better not do anything of those things within our walls or our ranks.

Newsrooms used to be fascinating places full of amazing people with all sorts of ideas, opinions and vivid personalities. Now that sort of stuff will get you laid off or run out. Biggest problem, the folks making the decisions aren't secure in their own competency so they cling to their titles and bits of power.

Just my two cents of psychology. We in Sports get good at that stuff.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's really even simpler than that, Joe. Everything the Times has tried under Zell has failed, spectacularly. My guess is, the former number two predicted most if not all these innovations would fail. No number one in any organization can afford to have a number two who's righter than he is hanging around.
    Easy enough to go to the publisher and say "this guy thinks you and Sam are morons."

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The thought the explanation for Arthur's move was relatively honest. At least it didn't say he "wanted to explore new opportunities."

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

According to LA Observed, Mike James is the new SE. Note says he's only the seventh Times sports editor since 1928.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Great news for Mike, one of the nicest and most grounded guys I've worked with, ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted