1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFP Championship Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I always forget it's on ESPN now. That still seems insane to me.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Insane is people who consider themselves big sports fans, but won't shell out for even basic cable/satellite.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'll echo everyone else that yesterday was a reminder of days past (one of the biggest upsets I remember was Kosar over the Huskers in the Orange Bowl in '84?)

Showing how little I know about CF, I really thought OSU had no shot with a 3rd string QB, no knowing that Jones was a behemoth ala Culpepper (or even Lorenzon at Kentucky) and that OSU's defense could handle Bama's speed and and size. When OSU held the Tide in the first couple of series I realized OSU had a legit shot.

The Ducks' D is decent, not great. Their LBs don't seem to hold up against the run so OSU may run wild. Oregon's tempo destroyed FSU, I think OSU can keep up better.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Yes, and yup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fiesta87

5. RecoveringJournalist

I was talking about how the networks either don't think it's worth airing or didn't think it was worth whatever it would cost to get the TV rights.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ohio State's winning the thing. It's the Buckeyes' turn to be the man for the next 3 to 5 years.

Meyer's record at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and now Ohio State: 141-26.

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

If the playoff system was in place sooner, how many BCS champions from the SEC would have met the same fate as Alabama last night?
    I will forever hold the opinion that 2003 LSU, 2007 LSU and 2008 Florida were all inferior to USC in each of those seasons, but that's just me.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

At that time, the Fiesta Bowl was a second-tier bowl game that started in the early afternoon. The 1986 season just happened to be a year where the No. 1 and No. 2 team were both independents, and the major bowls of the time (Rose, Sugar and Orange -- some would argue Cotton was still major, but it was fading, along with the Southwest Conference) were locked in to conference champions. When the Fiesta was able to land Nos. 1 and 2, they couldn't move the game to later that night (it was an NBC game, and NBC had the Orange Bowl at night) so they moved it to the next night. That was cool because it allowed me to get to Phoenix the next day and cover that game after covering the Rose Bowl the day before. Truth be known, I wasn't a college football writer, but I happened to be in LA covering the college basketball team I covered at the time. Convinced my boss he should get me a credential for the Rose Bowl, then convinced him it would be smart to have me go to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl when they changed the date.

Another interesting fact is that the Citrus Bowl also was bidding to get the two teams.

Per Wikipedia:

9. RecoveringJournalist

I tend to agree on those three. Obviously, it's just speculation, but there were quite a few years where the two teams playing for the title weren't the two teams that most thought were the most deserving. I think Miami would have beaten Oklahoma after the 2000 season as well.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it was a great New Year's Day, but for the next two seasons, the playoff games will be held on New Year's Eve.

Next season: Cotton and Orange have the playoffs (assume Orange goes last) with the Peach probably kicking things off at 12:30 p.m. EST. Fiesta, Sugar and Rose go on Jan. 1. I can't imagine the Sugar going first and not playing New Year's Night, but that would mean a 10:30 a.m. local kickoff for the Fiesta.

2016 season: Peach and Fiesta have the playoffs on Dec. 31 with the Orange also that day. Do they run the games as Peach-Fiesta-Orange so the Orange keeps a night slot for its stupid halftime stuff? Cotton, Rose and Sugar go on Jan. 2, likely in that order like it was this year.

I think it helped a lot that the New Year's 6 games went in the order they did with the two playoff games last. But that's not happening the next two seasons.

Also, for the title game this year, it's a Big 12 officiating crew.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I would love New Years Eve playoff bowl games. Great excuse for not going to stupid parties.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when the Orange Bowl was a must watch just to see how nutso their halftime show would be. One year it was a "Pete's Dragon" theme. This year, "Little Big Town" got one minute of ESPN air time (I kept track). The bands at The Rose Bowl Game got two minutes each (by contract).

Draft saved Draft deleted