1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFL GM charged

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thesnowman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The original headline (since changed) had the word shocker in it.

2. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Gotcha. Completely unintentional. And yes, Gomer, it was a bad joke ;)

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Eric and his family are longtime friends of my mom and dad, and our extended family.
    As director of the Senior Bowl, Eric offered me guidance and job leads when I was trying to break into media work.
    His accomplishments in and committment to the CFL are many.
    I hope this isn't true and I wish the best for my friend.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The story I have heard is that the girl in question is his baby sitter.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Makes a slight ripple in the water back in Mississippi, as there are folks in Oxford – or so I've heard – who were interested in him as the next Ole Miss A.D.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, I don't find this funny. The charges are serious and can ruin a person's life, even if acquitted. I like Tillman and hope and pray there is nothing to these allegations.

7. You know what else isn't funny? Miscegenation.

Right, Mark?

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Obviously, I hope the truth comes out here. Yikes.

The Sask RoughRiders have been a major help to me in some previous research.

9. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

http://www.leaderpost.com/VANSTONE+Familiar+setting+different+emotions/1249847/story.html

Turning the discussion a little bit, how would you have approached the above column? For anyone not in the know, it's the obligatory local-paper-comments-on-hometown-pro-sports-GM-facing-serious-charges column. For the most part I think it was done fairly well. I also wonder what that column might have looked like if there were two papers or other serious print/online competition in Regina.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is where the nickname of his team is unfortunate.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Definitely a WTF moment ... the CFL world is quite unsettled today.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good column. Given the circumstances, I don't know how anyone could write anything overly profound. Better not to rush to judgment in matters such as these.

Draft saved Draft deleted