1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB's overtime rules are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I wish they'd move the ball back to the 40 or 45 and see what they can do. Putting it on the 25 is obviously way too easy.

And I've never agreed with adding the stats since it's so much easier to pad the TD total. I mean how many times have teams gone through say two OTs and there's not been a score? I bet none. ADd some degree of difficulty.

2. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

In high school football in Georgia, possession in overtime starts at the 15, not the 25.

That's due to the complaining from all the smaller schools who don't have kids who can kick.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The solution to this is simple. Coin flip to determine possession. If the team that gets the ball first scores, the other team gets one possession. If not, it becomes sudden death after each team has the ball.

The college system is a joke. Defenses play 100 plays and can't stop anyone, so it becomes one touchdown after another and it often takes an hour to resolve. I've turned off several OT games this season because it became boring to watch the offense just march in for a score repeatedly.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the way the ncaa tiebreaker is too much like a shootout to me. it eliminates 1/3 of the game -- special teams.

most stats i've seen say that 52 percent of the time the team that wins the coin toss wins in overtime and only something like 29 percent of the teams that get the ball first score on that first possession

football teams don't score on every possession, that's what most scores are in the 20s (well, other than the patriots, and nobody's taking them to ot anyway)

the college game is more exciting to watch, but the nfl system is infinitely more fair -- defenses actually can play regularly instead of automatically in the redzone

5. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

The college OT is great. I don't see a reason to change it and don't really understand why people don't like it.

The NFL OT, on the other hand, is horrible.

EDIT: And Hoops, how is it fair in the NFL when one team might not even get a possession in OT and essentially loses the game because of a coin flip?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just think the Golden Field Goal is a lame way to end a game.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

they have a shot. they can play defense. they can kick it deep. they have plenty of shots.

in the nfl, at least you have a shot by playing regular football as opposed to a bullshit shootout bastard skills competition

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm pissed that Fulmer tried to sit on the lead, made few, if any adjustments at halftime (other than digging his Underoos out of his turd cutter) and let it get to OT in the first place.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It seems in the college system, a lot of times it just turns into a two-point conversion contest, at least in the games that get to a third overtime. It'd almost be quicker to play the first two OTs, then just have the teams alternate plays from the 3 until someone scores.

10. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

On the issue of the penalty on UK after the blocked field goal, the rules seem very confusing on this scenario in the rule book....but seems as if its bedlam and no holds barred if a team threw a pick or returned a fumble in OT and tried to win by running it back.

If UK can get away with ripping off that Tennessee players head, what else could happen? I mean if the penalty doesnt carry any major consequences, we could see someone run off the sidelines to tackle someone on a return.

Surely there is a provision in the rules, where some kind of penalty would carry a consequence or something. That or the rules committee goofed big time.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I wonder if you couldn't just add a clock to the existing OT and fix some of the issues. My biggest problem is how freakin' long it goes on and on and on. Give 'em the ball at the 25, put a minute on the clock and let 'em go. Even take away their timeouts. Also, stop the midfield captains huddles after the first OT. Refs run to the sidelines, get the coaches' desires and go. Oh, and like the NHL, no TV commercials in OT.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's why winning team should be first team to score at least four points.

Draft saved Draft deleted