1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Census worker found hanged in Kentucky; 'FED' scrawled on his chest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There's no way in hell that this is going to end well, but I'll post it anyway.<blockquote>MANCHESTER, Ky. – A U.S. Census worker found hanged from a tree near a Kentucky cemetery had the word "fed" scrawled on his chest, a law enforcement official said Wednesday, and the FBI is investigating whether he was a victim of anti-government sentiment.

Bill Sparkman, a 51-year-old part-time Census field worker and teacher, was found Sept. 12 in a remote patch of the Daniel Boone National Forest in rural southeast Kentucky. The law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the case and requested anonymity, did not say what type of instrument was used to write "fed" on his chest. . . .

Investigators have said little about the case. FBI spokesman David Beyer said the bureau is assisting state police and declined to confirm or discuss any details about the crime scene.

"Our job is to determine if there was foul play involved — and that's part of the investigation — and if there was foul play involved, whether that is related to his employment as a Census worker," said Beyer.

Attacking a federal worker during or because of his federal job is a federal crime.</blockquote>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_on_re_us/us_census_worker_hanged

Manchester, which is in Clay County, is seriously rural Appalachia.

Be interesting to see if he ran afoul of some hillbilly drug dealer or if this is something else entirely.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Horrible story.

Wonder if Beck, Hannity, Rush and their ilk will find room in their anti-government blowhard bitch-fests to mourn someone working for the government who was just doing their job.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying that I am a conservative who has serious reservations about the role of government. And I anticipate that 99.99% of the people who share a similar viewpoint would agree. However, that .01% seems to think it's OK to protest funerals, kill abortion doctors and government workers, and they smear the rest of us.

No individual doing their job should ever be harmed because of who/what they represent. They're doing their job, carrying out orders. If you don't like it, take your complaints (civilly) to the top.

Add to that, census workers are doing a Constitutional duty. Of all government workers, they shouldn't be targeted.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

sonuvabitch

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

^H^H^H^H^H^HCensus ^H^H^H^H^Hworker ^H^H^H^H^Hfound ^H^H^H^H^H^Hhanged ^H^Hin ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HKentucky; ^H^H^H'FED' ^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hscrawled ^H^Hon ^H^H^Hhis ^H^H^H^H^Hchest.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Everyone take a shot, and then come back to this thread and pretend it doesn't exist.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe they just want to indicate that they gave the guy his last meal.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

They should check his back for markings. Maybe it's K Fed.

10. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Sparkman was a single father who recently survived cancer and earned a college degree through online correspondence courses. In addition to working a few days a month for the Census, he was a substitute teacher. One of Sparkman's Western Governor’s University professors found his story so inspiring that Sparkman was asked to travel to Salt Lake City to address his graduating class.

http://sentinel-echo.com/local/local_story_094220413.html

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

In Clay County, this does not surprise me at all. He just stumbled upon the wrong mountain man.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No kidding. My great-grandmother's people are originally from Clay County and they were moonshiners back in the day. They've no doubt graduated to making meth these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted