1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Census PSA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Mar 20, 2010.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Is anyone else getting worn out by Census PSA's over-and-over during the basketball tournament? I get it. Fill out the census card. It doesn't seem that hard to understand. Wonder how much money these spots are costing? I hope nothing since they are public service announcements.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I like the idea that it takes 10 minutes to fill out the 10 questions. They include your gender and date of birth.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

A lot less than if people don't fill them out and they have to go door to door to get the information.

4. highlander

highlander Member

But that's creating jobs that will lower unemployment.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wish they spent as much time explaining health care. mailed mine. just so you know I am now the only Eskimo living in the Northeast.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the Censes rep on the Daily Show said that for each percentage point of the population that doesn't mail theirs back in, they have to spend $85 million to get the thing done.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Filled out mine, but didn't answer all of the questions. Just what I felt were pertinent. Not that difficult.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Temp jobs that last six weeks.

The census is already a ridiculously expensive burden on taxpayers. It's even more so when people are too lazy to mail them back.

And then we wonder why our taxes are high.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I was much more bothered by the letter I received a week before the Census arrived letting me know the Census form would be arriving. Completely unnecessary; don't even want to think about how much that cost.

10. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I'm not going to mail mine back just so when the Census workers show up I can answer the door wearing nothing but gold speedos with my hair dyed pink with the words 'Barry Manilow Rules' written on my fat gut...while the smell of pot drifts around in the background...then tell them I was scared because I'm an illegal alien...from another planet, like a REAL illegal alien...and do they want to come in for some fried wombat...

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Last Census time, I got the long form at my house. My roommate wasn't appy to have to disclose all the information. I think she complained enough to get the short form and the person who finally conceded to her wishes told her a small percentage got the long form anyway.

This year, I got the long form again. I'm in a very bizarre non-employment situation right now and had to call both Peace Corps and the census to be able to answer some of them. That was about three weeks ago when we got the form.

Around a week ago, we got some other short form, also from the census. We filled that out.

And now yesterday, my household got yet another form -- the long form.

I'm not convinced this is money well-spent. I'm sure I answered things differently this time than last, and at this point I just don't care. I'm not doing anything else for them.

(rant over, sorry.)

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I need someone to explain to me why:
    a) hispanics are of special interest, and
    b) adopted children and step-children are a separate class as opposed to biological children.

Draft saved Draft deleted