1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Census: Minorities are the new majority

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 17, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not going to link, because many/most sites with this are damn distasteful, but do a Google image search on "George Zimmerman" and "Elizabeth Warren" ... there's a photoshopped pic with him labeled "Cracker" and her labeled "Minority" ... it's pretty funny.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The labels are going to be almost indistinguishable by the time "minority" eclipses majority for good ... I mean, what happens when a half-Asian/half-white boy marries a quarter-Latin/quarter-black/half-white girl? What box do you check for their kids?

3. doctorquant

I never was good with fractions ...

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Comedians being obtuse? You're kidding?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I worked with someone who was in this situation once. She was considered Hispanic, but her family was from Texas, as in dating back to well before Texan independence from Mexico. Her family never crossed the border, it crossed them.

6. doctorquant

Texas history's kinda cool this way. The "Old Three Hundred" (S.A. Austin's fellow settlers) had to forswear their U.S. citizenship and become citizens of Spain/Mexico (I'm murky on the details right now) as part of their original land grants.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mexico for land grants, Switzerland for tax breaks ... same as it ever was. :)

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Persons of two or more races.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the time when folks don the plaid Bermuda shorts and brown socks with sandals worn in the minority community as a protest against "The Establishment."

"Get the hell out of my yard!" and "Turn that noise down!" will become the clarion calls of freedom!

Oh, what the heck! I think I'll start being a trend-setter today.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Stories like this dont help

http://wreg.com/2012/05/16/tn-man-fathers-30-kids-but-cant-support-any/

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The man is now officially keeping me down.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Settlers to Texas took Mexican citizenship, forswearing American citizenship and giving an oath to obey Mexican laws. The Texans became upset about the faraway central government in Mexico City trying to enforce unpopular laws, such as emancipation. Hence the War for Independence.

Draft saved Draft deleted