1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phones: Is a day of reckoning coming?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Story_Idea, Sep 3, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK, I probably need to take a board vacation and be productive this week anyway. More to the point, I have to stand up and say this.

Given that politics has become such a forbidden fruit here, to the point where legitimate threads are not only being locked but erased altogether, why in the blue hell is a moderator allowed to make a political (although not partisan) post on this thread? I don't find his viewpoint offensive. I think he did a very nice job making his case. Further, I advocate for ending the ban. But there has to be one standard, and those with extra powers shouldn't be above the rules.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Pure politics, ain't it? The leaders make the rules for others.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And what generation of technology is an iPhone? When I get mine it will be my third smartphone and I think my sixth cell phone overall.

And what generation of technology is an electric car? Give it a decade and see where you stand on this.

And you guys fail to answer this simple multiple choice question...

What should GM's stance be on electric cars?

1. Ignore the technology.
    2. Produce a basic electric vehicle.
    3. Produce a cutting edge technology electric vehicle.

What did Apple do?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think the need for constant availability comes in the instability of work in 2012. For those of us in businesses where we see our colleagues getting whacked with little reason, I tend to think a "rapid response" outlook when a manager texts on a Sunday helps out cause during layoffs.

Even though I know it does not.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I grew up walking on city streets while reading books, and never was struck by an automobile or even a tree. People who can't do the same with a cell phone obviously didn't practice enough as children.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Went out to dinner the other night with a rather large group of people. Perhaps 20 of us or so. After the requisite check-in on Facebook, naming every one of us, the girl next to me says, "OK, everyone. We are checked in. Put your phones down. We do this once, maybe twice a year. Let's visit with each other while we are here."

I leaned over and kissed her cheek. What followed was a very enjoyable three-hour dinner and conversation.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Nicely played, sir. The thing that's nice about the Facebook check-in is that it's a convenient way to get a group of friends together without having to call or text 20 people. It also gives an outing a spontaneity that it wouldn't otherwise have if you spent an hour calling or texting folks.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Will it upset your or excite you to know that it was a female that leaned over to kiss a female's cheek?

(friend to friend, of course)

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Nyet, but I'd imagine that simple, human contact without all of the electronics in the way was warm and genuine. I think we've lost something in this technological age with all of the social media. I remember the days when everything demanded a personal touch. Now, it's the electronic equivalent of a form letter - LIKE.

Draft saved Draft deleted