1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cell phones/do not call lists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I heard a rumor that cell phone numbers have gone public and can be called by telemarketers. I didn't believe it, except that in the past week I've gotten probably 10 calls from 1-800 numbers.

Has anybody else actually gone and registered their cell phones on the national do-not-call list?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I haven't done it, but I'll certainly give it a try.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

After further review, all the 1-800 numbers that have called me are actually the same. I hadn't bothered to check that until just now. The number is 1-800-959-3117, and when I googled that, it's apparently some kind of phishing scam where they try to get you to give them bank account info. I guess if I don't answer the call, I won't get charged for it so for now I'm just going to ignore it.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just registered our cell phone numbers.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All of our numbers are on it, but there are still a few idiot companies that do not respect (hello police fundraisers!!!)

All you have to say is that you are on the national no-call list and why are they calling you?

The call will end in seconds.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

A couple months ago, I was receiving calls from a 1-800 number that I found out either my CC or cell company had sold info to. I've registered my cell phone (especially since it's my only phone line) since and, magically, the calls have stopped.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm on the list and still get those calls from time to time.

The same goes for our house phone. Put our number on the list when it first came out, but we average about 20 toll free calls a day.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

don't forget that just by placing your number on the list does not prohibit all companies from calling you. If you have done previous business with them, given your number as part of an application of sorts or anything along that line, they can call you.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I think the numbers only stay in the system for five years or something ... so some of them might be up for renewal?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My cell phone is on the do not call list and I still get the same damn call about "my last chance to extend my car warranty"

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But it's been maybe 4 years since i put our number on there.

And BD, these are companies we've never heard of. I expect calls from Chase (car loans for my mom and i), but not some damn insurance company calling every hour.

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This is a scam that's been going on for a while. I kept getting those calls too. Finally waited to get the live operator and said I was calling the FCC because they were making illegal calls to my mobile. She hung up, but I haven't gotten one of those calls again.

Draft saved Draft deleted