1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cell phones at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was one of the last holdouts in the civilized world to get a cell phone, in 2003.

But one of our writers still doesn't have one (he and his wife have one between them, and she carries it), and it's a PITFA when we can't reach him sometimes. Game goes into OT, no way for us to know. Photo assignments changed, no way for us to know. Not like we'd be calling him every night, but the times once a month or so when we need to reach him, it's a real pain in the ass when we can't.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"PITFA." I like that.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Job before last: Provided the phone for most employees through a sponorship deal with Alltel
    Last job: $50 a month toward the bill
    (Those were both SID gigs.)
    Current job: Nothing, but I teach now so I rarely use my cell for business anway

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Similar to others, I receive a reimbursement of $24.95 per month. Not bad, especially considering I no longer receive more than one or two work calls per day and my bill has dropped below $50 per month. Wish I received more of a stipend, but I won't complain. It could be worse.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't feel all that screwed, because even without the job I'd still have a cell phone, and probably with the same plan. So I'd spend the same money either way.

Like I mentioned earlier, I also have an office-issued phone, but I haven't even bothered to give the office that number. I keep my personal phone with me for the most part, because everyone I know calls me on that. I only use the office phone in arena press rooms, because it gets far better reception in such places than my personal phone, for some reason.

6. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I didn't get shit. No phone. No compensation. After the first month's bill came in with way too many minutes than I wanted to pay for out of my measly check, I never made or accepted a work-related call on my cell.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you guys shouldn't ever leave the office then there would be no uses for cell phones.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Company provides them. It's a big, ol' (and therefore super-cheap, I'm sure) thing, but it gets the job done.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We get $50 a month, which isn't bad. My bill is usually $63 so it pretty much covers it.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

News people and photogs (photogs?) got phones from our company recently, but not sports. And I have no idea if they just got the phones for free, or if the company is also paying the monthly bills.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Who doesn't have a cell phone?

I understand using work things for work, but the reason I use my personal cell phone is that it is easier. I use my phone maybe 15-20 percent for work. I could go into the office and use that phone, so it isn't convenient for me.

If you do enough work where you need a dedicated line, I understand. But, we aren't corporate accountants or CEO's --ya know?

Cell phones are so prominent it's almost like a car and internet connection.

On a related note: What do you guys think of laptops. For years I used my own until it started to break down because of it getting beaten up (constant travel and in these tight quarters destroy machines). I went through 2 until I said enough.

I ended up getting a hand me down, which was actually pretty good. But, I find a lot of reporters on non-metros use their own. It looks like this is another expense (like cell phones) that is pushed on the employee.

Cell phones and laptops are work necessities now, especially for a writer on a travel beat. How is this played at your paper?

I know of a lot of places that hate to get machines for the sports department. On the news side? Forget it.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Had a company one for about six months. It was only to be used to call other phones in the network though, so when you had to call the office, you couldn't actually call the office, but a cell phone which was in the office.

Of course nobody used the damn things because it was a PITFA. Company then took nearly all of them away. I have a personal cell phone, but I do not use it for work-related calls...don't get reimbursed, so fuck 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted