1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone/smart phone advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WBarnhouse, Jul 15, 2010.

1. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Brothers and sisters of SportsJournalists.com:

I need a new cell phone/smart phone. I currently have a Samsung Razor that I dislike for numerous reasons. I’m interested in the new phone having the following features/advantages:

* Easy, fast on-off or mute button to stifle phone when it starts ringing in meetings.
    * Easy way to answer, accept calls. My Razor needs to slide open; often when I pull it from my holster and then slide it open, it somehow rejects the call before I can say hello.
    * Querty keyboard. I don’t text that much but I would prefer a querty keyboard that’s not too tiny for my fumble fingers.
    * E-mail. I’d like to be able to check my e-mail on my phone.
    * Twitter. If I need to do Twitter updates, I want it to be fairly simple when it comes with typing the 140 or fewer characters.
    * Sound. I’d like it to be able to hear the other person (assuming, of course, I’m not dealing with a Cameron Indoor-type noise level).
    * Internet. I’d like to be able to check for scores and news without too much hassle.

Your suggestions and recommendations are most welcome.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love my Droid.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

+1

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was just at a card game where two guys were having a showdown between their Droid Incredible and Iphone 4. I started to slap both of the up side head.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I love my iPhone 3GS. I use it for calls, emails, Internet, posting beat-related Twitter/Facebook updates, all of my audio recordings and I use the video camera for short interviews that we put on our Web site (the quality is higher than a Flip Cam, or so I've been told by our Web folks).

That's a damned versatile device. The Droid might do all of that, too, but I couldn't be happier with the iPhone -- and where I live AT&T service doesn't give me any problems.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

+2

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It depends on your service provider, really. The best currently for Verizon would probably be the Droid (my mom has it and aside from a problem with her case creating a lot of issues with her being able to be heard on the other end, it has been a success) and for AT&T would be the iPhone. I have the iPhone 3G and can do all that you just said. Plus, if you have small kids, it has all sorts of educational apps as well. My seven-year-old cousin got addicted to this car game that was on mine.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I have a Blackberry right now and while it has done everything I've needed it to, it has started to constantly dump memory and such. Blackberry phones are notorious for this and I would have gone with the iPhone when I first bought this, but I liked the ability to have a physical keyboard.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My iPhone 4 is balling as fuck.
    That's really all I got. Best thing about it is it's easy for me -and I am terrible with technology.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just got a new cell phone myself a couple of weeks ago but don't have any apps.

[​IMG]

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm a loyal member of the Pre cult. It meets every single one of your specs.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, so THAT'S what happened. One day I went to go look at my text messages and they were all gone. Stupid memory dumps!

Draft saved Draft deleted