1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone/smart phone advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WBarnhouse, Jul 15, 2010.

1. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Brothers and sisters of SportsJournalists.com:

I need a new cell phone/smart phone. I currently have a Samsung Razor that I dislike for numerous reasons. I’m interested in the new phone having the following features/advantages:

* Easy, fast on-off or mute button to stifle phone when it starts ringing in meetings.
    * Easy way to answer, accept calls. My Razor needs to slide open; often when I pull it from my holster and then slide it open, it somehow rejects the call before I can say hello.
    * Querty keyboard. I don’t text that much but I would prefer a querty keyboard that’s not too tiny for my fumble fingers.
    * E-mail. I’d like to be able to check my e-mail on my phone.
    * Twitter. If I need to do Twitter updates, I want it to be fairly simple when it comes with typing the 140 or fewer characters.
    * Sound. I’d like it to be able to hear the other person (assuming, of course, I’m not dealing with a Cameron Indoor-type noise level).
    * Internet. I’d like to be able to check for scores and news without too much hassle.

Your suggestions and recommendations are most welcome.
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love my Droid.
  3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was just at a card game where two guys were having a showdown between their Droid Incredible and Iphone 4. I started to slap both of the up side head.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

I love my iPhone 3GS. I use it for calls, emails, Internet, posting beat-related Twitter/Facebook updates, all of my audio recordings and I use the video camera for short interviews that we put on our Web site (the quality is higher than a Flip Cam, or so I've been told by our Web folks).

That's a damned versatile device. The Droid might do all of that, too, but I couldn't be happier with the iPhone -- and where I live AT&T service doesn't give me any problems.
  6. Colton

Colton Active Member

7. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

It depends on your service provider, really. The best currently for Verizon would probably be the Droid (my mom has it and aside from a problem with her case creating a lot of issues with her being able to be heard on the other end, it has been a success) and for AT&T would be the iPhone. I have the iPhone 3G and can do all that you just said. Plus, if you have small kids, it has all sorts of educational apps as well. My seven-year-old cousin got addicted to this car game that was on mine.
  8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I have a Blackberry right now and while it has done everything I've needed it to, it has started to constantly dump memory and such. Blackberry phones are notorious for this and I would have gone with the iPhone when I first bought this, but I liked the ability to have a physical keyboard.
  9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My iPhone 4 is balling as fuck.
    That's really all I got. Best thing about it is it's easy for me -and I am terrible with technology.
  10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just got a new cell phone myself a couple of weeks ago but don't have any apps.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm a loyal member of the Pre cult. It meets every single one of your specs.
  12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, so THAT'S what happened. One day I went to go look at my text messages and they were all gone. Stupid memory dumps!
Draft saved Draft deleted