1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone providers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Just got the mail and the rumors have been confirmed. My cell phone provider has been purchased by Verizon.

Over the next year, my provider's systems will be upgraded then we planholders will be switched over to Verizon's service.

My hubby has Verizon (through work) and I hate that I can not use Motorola Phone Tools (MPT) to transfer pictures off his phone or use any of the other features with it - because Verizon wants you to use Vcast and charge the heck out of you. Because his phone is a work phone, I don't dare experiment hacking it to make MPT work, and he doesn't dare use Vcast lest he get in major trouble. He is also not allowed to text, so he can't even send the pictures to my phone (or an email addy) to get them off there.

That's my big beef with Verizon, and I haven't even started with them yet.

So. Should I stay with Verizon when the switch happens or should I start shopping for a new provider?

2. if it's your own phone (meaning, you are paying for it) and you don't mind hacking, keep it. there are some good things about verizon, i.e. pretty solid coverage in most areas. you just need to work around all the crap they put on their phones.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My non-Verizon phone (Razr V3m) is mine and MPT works great.

Hubby's phone (low-end Motorola) is through work (he doesn't own it), is Verizon and only thing I could get MPT to do is back up his contact list.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've had Sprint for four years. Also had Alltel for a few years. Had no qualms with either.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I should point out that in my area, Sprint is not an option.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Verizon works very well for me.

Sounds as if you have as much of a beef with your husband's phone and the rules of its usage as you have with Verizon.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have no problems with the rules Mr. Rosie must follow for using his cell phone, because they are very generous. I was just pointing out that sending pics from his phone via text messaging in order to get them off his phone wasn't an option because of the rules he must follow.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I love Verizon, everytime I have had an issue with a bill or anything they fix it promptly and they are really courteous when I talk to them.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Rosie:
    Stay with Verizon. I'm guessing you have Unicel, just because that was the company they just bought out.

Verizon is real good with service and the VCast service is really good too, imo.

If you get VCast with your new phone, you can get an unlimited plan for a pretty reasonable price.
    unlimited text and pix messaging, I think.... Ask the person you get the phone from.

I don't know what else your husband can do with his since his is a work phone.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Yup, I have Unicel.

Or had.

Or will have had.

Anyways, I do not want to pay for something I've had for free for quite some time. My phone is fine for now, but when I have to get a new one will be when Unicel is Verizon and Verizon will have all their evil stuff on it.

Guess I better brush up on my hacking skills. :(

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here. I have yet to have a problem with Verizon in the five years I've been with them.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I love verizon. Once is a while I found a dead zone, but it's rare.

Started with them on the New every two, seemingly ages ago. and have gotten ome nice phones over the years. One thing that impressed me was when my contract expired, when you renew, you don't have to pick a current. Sounds like that's not a big deal, but when I signed up initially I had unlimited pix/text plus 1000 minutes all for $34 a month.
    Every time I renew the people look at the current rates and agree, they can't come close to giving me a better plan, so they just renew that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted