1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity deaths and you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 26, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

The death of the What The Hell Is Wrong With You Thread has to qualify here. I'll always remember where I was when the news broke.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Jerry Garcia was the one that really got to me, being the Deadhead that I am. I still get a little emotional when I hear a particularly plaintive Garcia solo; especially the riff toward the end of Wharf Rat on the Dick's Picks CD from Pembroke Pines in '77.

Skip Caray was another one that bummed me out. He made you feel like you were his best friend when he broadcast a game.

And, of course, John Lennon. I still remember when Howard Cosell broke the news on the Monday Night Football game. Don't even recall who won, but I clearly remember it was the Patriots and the Dolphins from the Orange Bowl.

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Princess Di's life and death still bothers me to this day.
    Not so much that she died, but rather the way she was treated by those inbreds we call the Royal Family.
    Floppy-eared Chuck married her so the family would have normal looking people in it, then after she had given them what the wanted they proceeded to destroy her.
    The Queen's apathy in the days after Princess Di's death was appalling.
    If I was British I would hate them.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

He wasn't a celebrity, but the sudden death of the mayor of a local community probably shook me up a lot more than did any celebrity death.....because I had interviewed him only a couple of hours before he ended up dead after an accident on his farm.

It was on the radio first thing the next morning and all I could think was, "what the fuck?!?!?!?! I just talked to him - how the hell can he be dead?!?!?!" Really hit me hard.....I didn't cry, but I was definitely out of sorts for that entire day and a big part of the next one too.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish Passy would have started this thread, so it would have been, "Celebrity Deaths and jOO"

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Paul Newman got to me. I saw that picture Double J has as his avatar somewhere else and wondered how it was possible that smile was gone. A man who never took his looks for granted, busted his ass to be great at what he did and then gave back so much didn't deserve to go out the way he did. Just didn't seem fair.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Never sad, per se, but I do miss Chris Farley, Phil Hartman and John Candy.

Draft saved Draft deleted