1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating equality in sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, May 7, 2012.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I think it's complete idiocy that they won't let him play because he's too good, and I frankly don't think the fact that he's so dominant has anything to do with gender. He's pretty clearly not hit puberty yet, and the physiological difference between kids before puberty is much, much smaller.

He's good because he grew up playing the sport in a place where it's popular while most American girls don't get introduced to field hockey at all until high school. The gender thing is a complete excuse to get him off the field so the other players don't get their feelings hurt by being schooled by a middle schooler - if a girl had grown up playing field hockey and came over to most US schools, she'd wipe the floor with everyone too. Then they'd probably kick the kid out since she didn't fit the "must be in high school" eligibility requirements, which I'm not sure how this boy got around in the first place.

As for the "should boys be allowed to play on girls teams" arguments, as a girl, I have no problem with it if the sport is not sanctioned for boys in that state. If the sport is sanctioned but the school doesn't offer a team, however (see: Massachusetts and boys swimming on girls teams even though there's the state runs boys swimming), then tough luck. That's like playing at a tiny school that doesn't offer volleyball. Move.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed.

I just posed the question to the individual who believes anyone who thinks the little kid should be allowed to play is no better than Al Bundy.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This is not the first time this has happened. I mentioned this case in a column once, and ultimately, the ACLU will get involved, as it did 20 years ago. Just crazy to think we haven't evolved.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1991_812665/judge-says-boy-can-join-girls-field-hockey-team.html

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think it should have been OK at age 11.

Regarding his size and the lack of physical dominance, you're all forgetting speed as part of the equation. Boys at 11 (or 13) run faster than girls too.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I am asking you to explain the league's change of heart, which appears oh sooooooo sincere.

There is no legit reason for the league to deny the kid to play if there is no alternative for boys. None. Other than discrimination.

And in this case it is clear league officials are worried about one thing: widdle kids' feewings getting hurt. ::)

If they truly were worried about boys joining the league they should have tried to block him from playing two years ago.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Girls are weak and do nothing particularly well, so this is only fair. [/LTL]

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Title IX does not mandate equality.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There. Fixed that for you.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Then the league can change the rules with the kid grandfathered in.

As for him running faster, he's 13 and playing varsity against girls who are 16, 17 and 18. I don't know of a national database on split times for 13-year-old boys vs. 17-year-old girls but I'm guessing he's not faster than they are.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

if the boy's so good at hockey maybe he should strap on a pair of skates and play some real hockey. they actually have boys teams for that

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

More physically in common with a girl at 11 than 13? That's all I can come up with.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Random 13 year old male athlete vs. random 17 year old female athlete in a footrace? I'll take the boy every time, and not expect it to be close.

Draft saved Draft deleted