1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating 40 Years Since The Immaculate Reception

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 6, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One of many reasons too much fuss is made of the Immaculate Reception.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right. This was not a year they won the Super Bowl.

The pass to Swann in X where Bradshaw was knocked out, to me, is a far more important play in Steeler history.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of whether Fuqua touched it, Tatum touched it, the ball hit the turf. ... for me, what makes the play worthy of conversation after all this time is that Harris never gave up on the play. If he isn't hustling his butt toward the action -- what coaches tell you to do, but on one does -- it is an incomplete pass, game over, no debate over whether it was a catch. You always hear the cliches not to give up on a play, play until the whistle blows, etc. Coaches always tell you to head toward the action / head toward the ball, because you never know what might happen. That play is Demonstration A of why you do it.

4. 93Devil

Players from Penn State always hustle their butts.

- Sorry. I could not resist.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder what it would have looked like in high def instant replay for various camera angles.

Whatever really happened I'm glad it was not overruled. Too great a play not to end up in a TD.

6. 93Devil

That is a long freaking list of possible NFL rewrites if we had today's technology.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

of course, the only reason Harris was there was because he completely blew his blocking assignment which busted the play open and led to Bradshaw throwing wildly to fuqua, who was not supposed to be the original target.

That being said that is part of the beauty/mythos of the play....so many things went askew to make it happen.

As for Fuqua, I read recently in The Last Headbangers, which is a pretty good book about the 1970s in the NFL. There was an interesting part of the story I had never heard before. Allegedly Fuqua said immediately in the locker room the ball hit him (not knowing that would have nullified the play) and Bradshaw shut him up quickly before too many media started asked questions.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

That Bradshaw guy -- always thinking.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Here's the original clip from NBC:

My hobby is collecting original broadcasts of sporting events, and there's always a hope that this game will surface.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Clearly a catch.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This is true of several fantastic-finishes type plays. I had a long conversation with the BC center who snapped the ball for the Flutie pass, and he talked a lot about how Phelan was supposed to stay in the backfield and block, and if he had, he never would have been able to catch the ball. On the Bluegrass Miracle that enabled LSU to beat Kentucky almost exactly 10 years ago, the LSU receivers were in the wrong order downfield.

There are a few other examples that escape me at the moment. I think it would make a fascinating read for someone to put together a collection of what went wrong to make everything go right.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, I'm just surprised the guy didn't try to run out of bounds near the goal line when the Raider defender was closing in on him.

{/jim_brown]

Draft saved Draft deleted