1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cedric Benson an ex-Bear

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Vikings don't need him. Thank God for AP.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ah! The FSM makes its appearance on SportsJournalists.com! Very impressive.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Bungles have a roster spot they can spare.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If only Ricky Williams had been on the boat that day. His good judgement would surely have helped Benson.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because of the precedent set by Tank Johnson, the Bears could argue they needed to make this move.

It also gives Jerry Angelo a chance to bury a really bad decision. He didn't work out as a player, then Angelo amplified the problem by dealing the better back: Thomas Jones.

S-P is right ... though I wish otherwise. I didn't see anything that showed Benson can play in the NFL, but someone will be trying him out. Is that a call from Mike Shanahan I hear?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

But with two DUI busts -- errr, a DUI and a BUI, I guess -- I'd have to think a suspension is inevitable. Shanny just washed his hands of Travis Henry; would he be willing to take on another problem child so soon?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Literally or figuratively?

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Nicely played.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was having a convo about Benson last night. And even though the second DWI appears to be 100 percent on him, he could have an awfully big lawsuit against the police from the lake.
    The Bears cut him loose in part because he was "repeat offender." Without that first arrest, maybe the Bears don't cut him, or maybe they simply do it for other reasons.
    As it stands, if the first arrest turns out to be racially, or otherwise, motivated, he might end up with a nice back-up check to get him through one of the years he isn't playing football.

I also agree with Mizzou -- the Texans need to pick him up. It will do wonders for attendance.

10. My first thought exactly.

Draft saved Draft deleted