1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CC Sabathia: UPDATED: ruling upheld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 31, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

I'm saying you can not presume he makes that play and makes that throw ... it's part of the scoring rules.
    A left-handed pitcher going to the third base side of the mound, having to field, spin and throw back to first is not "routine effort."
    Therefore, it is scorer's judgment that cannot be proven to be erroneous (as a blatantly dropped throw by Prince Fielder can be).

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You voted for Dubya twice.

It cast aspersions on you by association.

Hit.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Then you might as well not assume any player makes any play and throw.

Again: If he fields it he throws LaRoche out by two steps. And it wasn't a tricky hop or a ball with a funny spin on it. It was routine to pick it up, and if he picks it up he throws him out. End of story.

4. old_tony

If I was taking your side, I'd need to throw up distractions, too.

It was an error.

5. Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

Unfortunate for CC, but that's a hit.

Pretend it was a slow tapper to third. If the 3B fields it cleanly and makes a strong throw, yes, the batter is probably out by a step or two. But if he tries to bare-hand it on the run and can't field it cleanly, it's a hit. Hardly even a debate.

I agree that it sucks for CC and it's a cheap way to lose a no-hitter, but life ain't fair.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I thought it was an error. Also, the guy sitting next to me today in the press box, who is an official scorer, said he thought it was an error.

As for the scoring, it can be overruled. Phyliss Merighe at the MLB office runs it by each of five people in a little committee, and it has to be unanimous for it to change.

I know because I just did a big takeout on official scorers, based on -- coincidentally -- a game in which Sabathia gave up a questionable first-inning hit and then nothing else till the 7th. That was 6 weeks ago.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Aren't we all jinxing it by talking about it? Shhh!

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, that is your opinion. You have no guarantee of that. The official scorer did not share your opinion and his opinion is the one that counts.
    It is a judgment call and it will not be overturned.

And there was spin on the ball. It was spinning away from CC.

9. old_tony

Bullshit. The only balls that would be spinning away from him at that spot on the field is a ball off the end of the bat from a left-handed batter. This was Andy LaRoche -- the right-handed-hitting third basemen -- not Adam LaRoche. It was a check swing off the middle of the bat.

That you made this statement makes me think you haven't even seen the play and are just playing your usual role of cranky guy.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wire story says the AP polled eight longtime writers, and six said they'd have scored it a hit.

That'll do it for me.

Close call. If he makes the play, he gets his no-hitter. No one to blame, etc.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Tony. You're right:

"It was a spinning ball," official scorer Bob Webb said immediately after the conclusion of the game. "It's to the right of a left-handed pitcher. In my view from the beginning of the play, it's not an ordinary play to make.

"It is difficult both because of the spin and because he has to make the play and turn completely around, and the runner was well down the line. It would have been a very difficult play to make. In my view, it was a hit as a result of those factors."

Now go fuck yourself. Because now I am cranky, you fucking asshole.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

NOW... you are?

Draft saved Draft deleted