1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBSsports.com announces NFL correspondents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate41

nate41 Member

I googled the guy who got the team I applied for. I got some legit hits so I'm real glad I didn't get beaten out by some fan boy.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to think the restrictions on freelancing were eased, at least for the veterans who have families to feed and are professional enough to juggle multiple gigs. One person hired has a thread on the "freelance help available" board, so that tells me cbssports.com backed down from the original requirements. Which was smart on their part in order to get some good people.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

CBSSports did back down on that for exactly what you said -- not wanting to keep anyone from feeding their family.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I did the same with similar results. Another reason I wasn't very detailed in doing my "profile" on B/R when I signed on. I didn't want to get beaten out of the gig by one of the fanboys, and as it turns out, I didn't.

Also glad to see that Auger kid didn't get whatever team he applied for. That would have been really humiliating.

Good to know that a lot of the guys that got these are seasoned vets.

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

Kind of surprised to see a former Chiefs employee covering the Chiefs...Bob Gretz

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Agreed. If you have one of these 32 gigs, it's more of a daily reminder that you aren't close to being back on your feet.

Then factor in that the clerk at The UPS Store, the cashier at Starbuck's and the secretary at the smog check outlet make better wages and have better benefits.

7. playthrough

gutenberg, your negativity is well-established for a newbie (congrats), but if you would read the thread you'd see the common sentiment is happiness for the people who got the gigs, and it looks like it's not as bad a gig as first believed. And I critized the no-freelance clause as loudly as anyone a few months back.

In this environment for sports journalists, it's progress. I'm not sure 32 people have been hired this year nationwide, but 32 people just got a gig here (and others got editing work, nice job Moddy!). My hat's off to 'em.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Guy invents the printing press and then has that attitude. I don't get it.

9. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

It's great to see Kevin Noonan get another shot.

10. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

You can have your opinion. I'll stick with mine.

I know several of the people who got those gigs and it is a severe dropoff for every single one of them. One of them was making over 70K on a pro gig. It's a daily reminder to him of where he was and where he is now all because of the lack of value placed on his top-level skills.

The truth is the truth. I'm not a PR firm hired to blindwash sports journalists into believing $400 a week for five months means you've landed on your feet.

Joe King's point was that this doesn't mean these people have landed on their feet. I agree with his point.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sounds like more of a toe hold than landing on one's feet.

12. playthrough

I don't think anyone's blindwashed by it. It is what it is. But it's also something, in a business filled with a whole lotta nothing these days. And some of those guys had next to nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.