1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBSsports.com announces NFL correspondents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Glad to see Larry Holder and Carter Gaddis land on their feet. Both hustle on the beat. Good peeps both.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Craig Morgan, who went out when the East Valley Trib went under.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Again, if this job pays $400 a week, which I believe was what was said on that other thread, I don't know that this contitutes ``landing on one's feet.'' More like still barely hanging on.

If the pay is more or the commitment is less than what was stated awhile ago, please correct me and I'll be thrilled for these guys. But if it requires being there every day and not being allowed to freelance on your team while paying $400 a week, this isn't a career destination by any means.

I sincerely hope all these people are able to get where they want to go, and I hope this gig helps them get there.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

John Oehsher is a name I hadn't heard in a while. Was talented when I was a mere pup on a beat where he was a veteran.

RB

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wonder what the breakdown is of seasoned journos vs. youngsters and/or bloggers without what most of us would consider traditional experience.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bryan Broaddus = former Cowboys assistant scouting director.

Jerry has finally succeeded in planting an agent within the Fifth Column. Or is it the Fourth Estate? I can't keep the shit straight.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which sort of surprises me, considering how many on this board were bashing the $400 per week stipend.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Josh Katzowitz and I crossed paths a few years ago at competing newspapers. He'll do a bang-up job in Cincy.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The job requirements -- at every practice -- made it tough to juggle on top of a full-time beat in a pro city. It's ideal as short-term help for a writer recently out of a job, which is what the best names on the list seem to be ...

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Congrats to Marty Gitlin.

The guy has a ton of talent, not to mention an off-the-wall sense of humor.

Good for everyone on the list.

11. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

I was in the running for one of the jobs through the original Bleacher Report posting, had my stuff forwarded on to CBS and wasn't ultimately taken. I think the breakdown ended up being 50/50 for people from B/R and people from outside the applicant pool.

Not sure of the specifics of how the process went but I will say B/R is a far more professional organization than I expected given how sour people seemed on the original posting. The exclusivity thing must hurt the guys hired, but it looks CBS picked up a lot of quality names here. Congrats, even if it's not the best situation, it's something.

12. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Congrats to all those who landed these gigs.

And yes, I can confirm that 16 of these guys were approached directly by CBSSports about the jobs and 16 came from the B/R end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.