1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS Interactive: Production Editor - Ft. Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GApplegate, Dec 5, 2011.

1. GApplegate

GApplegate New Member

This is a great company!

JOB DESCRIPTION
    Production editors for CBSSports.com are responsible for audience development around specific sports. They will create and execute on content and product plans aimed at engaging and bringing new users to the site.

In order to accomplish this candidates should have a strong understanding of the following:
    -- Audience trends and habits
    -- SEO
    -- Social platforms like Twitter and Facebook
    -- Experience working in a digital media company
    -- Experience working with product managers and developers
    -- Basic HTML skills
    -- Strategic mindset as well as an ability to go under the hood
    -- Newsletters and other subcription products
    -- Video and audio consumption habits
    -- Seasonal sports trends

Candidates should possess a passion for sports and a strong sports IQ. This is a must. Candidates should know what sports fans crave because they are sports fans. We're an energetic office that prides itself on its love for all things sports.

REQUIRED SKILLS/EXPERIENCE
    -- 1-3 years working in a fast-paced editorial environment
    -- Strong understanding of audience development
    -- Knowledge of SEO best practices
    -- Strong understanding of Twitter, Facebook and other social platforms
    -- Familiarity with content management systems
    -- Strong sports acumen
    *Must successfully pass a background check.

ABOUT CBS INTERACTIVE
    CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the best online content network for information and entertainment. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, BNET, and Last.fm span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news, and business. With more than 150 million people visiting its properties each month, CBS Interactive is a top 10 web property globally.

To be considered for this position at CBS Interactive, please apply here: http://www.cbsinteractive.com/jobsearch.php?mode=by_req&reqID=9799BR.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Moddy's seal of approval in 3... 2... 1...

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

By the way, one added thing to note: This production editor would be in charge of the hockey and golf arenas.

4. If you like to work at a place that treats you like an expendable POS, then this is the place. I have several sources that have spent time at CBS and have nothing good to say about the management. I know this guy isn't one really for the newsroom but I felt like I had to weigh in to spare some poor sap some mental grief. The idiots in charge treat their editors like crap and go to extremes to make sure the editors hate their jobs as much as possible. One guy told me that leaving an hour early, even for a doctors appointment, now results in one hour taken away from vacation time. Wow. Now that's how your run a business. Well done CBS.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I've worked for them and known many others who have - never heard anything remotely like that. At all.

Love the people at CBS. Love 'em.

6. Well, in the last two years, they've lost five of their top editors to competitors and a handful more have quit, one because they were not allowed to go to a wedding they were in!! what does that tell you?

7. Moderator1

Define top. Aren't the top three still there (and have been there a while)? A friend joined the hierarchy not too long ago. Turnover is not uncommon in this business. And I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm merely saying I have had a ton of dealing with these folks and have never come away with anything close to the same impression. Yeah, I was a contract worker and not in FtL full-time. But you can tell a lot about a company by how it treats people, even its contract folks.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not going to wrangle about the subjective crap in here, not worth it.

The bold-faced sentence above? Complete, utter, total, 100 percent bullshit. Tell "one guy" this please.

9. You are right, upper management is in tact, the five I was told about were their guys that ran the show at night. Oh, I have no doubt they treated you great, from what I'm told, they treat contract guys/writers great, and crap on everyone on the desk times 10. As far as the vacation time being BS, that may be so, just reporting what others have reported, isn't that what journalism has become today?

10. Moderator1

No, it is not what JOURNALISM has become today - though there is a lot of it out there. Wouldn't call it journalism.

We do appreciate you registering for seemingly the sole purpose of blasting a joint that has had a very good rep. Our membership can decide for themselves. You may sway some of them. SF and I may sway some of them.

I'd put our money on us.

Intact is one word, not two. And it is guys "who" ran the show at night.

So, if you were one of those editors, well, maybe we can understand the move. And I'm not trying to be a douche toward you, honest. You just clearly have an agenda on this one.

11. Nope, I'm just a guy with friends all over. Sorry, wasn't aware I had to check my grammar here, but glad to know you are 'that guy' who corrects people on an informal message board. I did not join to slam, just to inform someone who would be considering a cross-country move for this position. I would want the same for me if I was considering a job here. I am sure CBS is a fine company, but the things I have heard are disturbing and I thought I would share. as far as what journalism is today, that's a whole different topic that I don't care to discuss. SF and you can take your money and have a party.

12. Moderator1

We will, thanks. And this is a message board primarily for journalists. Grammar counts. Yes, I am that guy. Also a guy with friends all over.

Draft saved Draft deleted