1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS = bleacher report?? WTF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by golfnut8924, Dec 9, 2009.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

This is unlikely breaking news to most of you, but Bleacher Report has partnership with CBSsports.com, so its natural it would link a lot of BR stuff. BR did about 1.5 million uniques last month, so it's a player. Everyone wants to be a "journalist," and BR gives them a platform to live out their jones.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The thing I can't figure out is if CBS has a partnership with BR, why doesn't CBS take the time to clean up the BR copy? IMO, linking to stuff that is chalk full of errors reflects poorly on CBS. I would think that CBS would take the time and effort to edit the stuff if they're going to post the links on CBS's site.

What happens when some piece of shit blogger gets in hot water about something like plagiarizing and it's in a link hosted by CBS? Is CBS held responsible?

It just seems to me that CBS -- being the major company that they are -- would be a little bit more careful about what kind of stuff they're linking to. If I were running a news website, I'd be damn careful about what kind of links I'm hosting.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Talking in general terms, you're talking about one website, in partnership with another, "editing" the copy of the other website.

Not only does it not work that way since they're two separate companies, but BR is processing thousands of words a day, and no way would CBS want to take that on -- and won't.

CBS is also a partner with SI.com -- do you think CBS is going to be editing SI.com copy it finds errors in?

Maybe it's new-fashioned, but I think you're taking this whole business relationship a little too seriously from CBS' standpoint. A lot of sports websites have a lot of partnership deals with other sites, of various degrees of quality. And not only is that quality widely disparate between sites, it's widely disparate WITHIN individual sites. Some of the Bleacher Report copy is crap -- and some is decent.

Nobody from one website is going to be cleaning up another. Doesn't work that way.

Linking to something from one site doesn't, at least based on history to date, get another site in "hot water" for linking to it if the originating site plagiarizes or whatever.

If you really stop to think, despite your dissatisfaction with the content on BR, most of this is common sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted