1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS 2 in L.A.: Kobe and Vanessa Bryant may divorce

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: *Unconfirmed Rumor* Gossip Blog: Kobe and Vanessa Bryant heading for divorce

CBS 2 in Los Angeles has picked up the story, without much of their own elaboration. It was, however, part of their 'Top Stories' section, and one would imagine, a prominent part of their news broadcast (site has some video of the broadcast, I believe, including the Kobe item):

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_216022047.html

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The rumor has been confirmed, multiple independent confidential anonymous sources indicate that the word on the street is that the rumor is out there.[/foxnews]

3. markvid

markvid Guest

You know what, fine...
    Someone has (and very calmly and kindly, I might add) convinced me there is no reason to lock it.
    I hate these celebrity BS, rumor mil stories.Just someone PM me if there is a problem with it, cause I refuse to read it anymore.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It wasn't me who did the PM, but I think you made the right decision, markvid.

I couldn't care less about the subject matter, but there are folks who do and want to comment.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Xan, count up the I don't give a flying posts.
    Far outnumbers the ones who do care.
    And also, now that it's allegedly on KCBS, off to sports and news with it.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not to pick nits, mark, because you know I love you.

But we have had like 8-10 page threads every time some famous hot woman breaks up with her boyfriend, most recently Jessica Alba. They stay on Anything Goes, and people comment. To me? This is the exact same thing. Not hard news, just a thread about someone famous possibly getting divorced.

I'm not sure where the rancor or the "this shouldn't even be on the board" thing comes from (not from you, just from anyone).

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Steinbeck's sailor at the end of Chapter 14 of Cannery Row (IMO, the greatest single chapter in literature), "Go take a flying fugget."

Chapters 14 and 15 back-to-back are brilliant.

That is all.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, you raise very good points there...but Jessica Alba is what it is. A celebrity post in Anything Goes. Something silly we can read or not read. It's started by a link from a news source, not an unconfirmed rumor. I think we get into a different realm when we start speculation on an athlete's personal life on here, cause as you well stated, then yes, it starts into the will it affect his play, etc. Then send it over to Sports and News. However, like I said, I have a big problem with it being started to begin with when it comes from weak sourcing like it did. A real journo is not gonna post it as fact otherwise.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

AN-N-N-N-N-ND WE'RE BACK!

Paris Hilton isn't news. Lindsay Lo-rent isn't news. Kobe scoring 50+ is sports news. But this? This isn't newsworthy other than two or three grafs on the gossip page of the paper.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Are the mods playing hot potato with this one?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Looks more like tennis. Remains to be seen if markvid can handle this shot down the line.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

If it's a forehand return, he'll be fine. If it's a diving backhand, he's fucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.