1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caught on Tape: Kobe Calls Ref a F***ing F****t

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That just made up for the horrific thread you started about someone's birthday. Well done!

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Because maybe the ref had more common sense than the people feigning outrage and realized that Kobe's comments were made in the heat of the competition, weren't actually used to put down gay people, and chose to ignore them? It doesn't make it right, but I think finding an NBA player (or hell, just your average young person) who doesn't use the word 'faggot' as a generic insult is far more newsworthy.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If "it doesn't make it right," why go to such lengths here to try to excuse it?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All the more reason *not* to just gloss over it. I'm not "outraged," I just want to make sure that every time the subject comes up, there are people around to say "that word is not okay."

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You wins some, you loses some.

And I thought there was a lot longer institutional memory here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can rest assured.

7. service_gamer

I don't know if a two-sentence response amounts to going "to such lengths," but whatever. Regardless, I interject my two cents because it's a bit absurd to see some of these posts which do nothing more than allow people to pat each other on the back for being so 'open-minded.' If you honestly are offended by the use of the word in this situation, that's fair. But I have to question some of the sincerity, especially considering that it centers around someone as polarizing as Kobe.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Next time Kobe should just use cocksucker and nobody will care.

9. service_gamer

This sort of sums up my thinking here (though it's NSFW):

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wow, I agree with this ... "Let's all be PC, because that's what we're supposed to do!"

Of course there are words that you want to stay away from, but I'll be the first in line to say that I'm not outraged about his use. Nor was I outraged by Kevin Garnett's cancer line, and my mom is currently going through chemo. I guess I just don't get as testy or bothered by certain things, and I find that society, on the whole, is a little hypersensitive.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Who *is* outraged? Probably some publicity seeking gay-rights activist groups, but that's about it.

12. service_gamer

Okay, so outrage was a poor word choice. I guess I should have went with something like judgmental disgust. I mean, to each his/her own and if you are truly offended that's your prerogative. But since there wasn't a thread dedicated to Kenyon Martin when he used the same word in a more vicious tirade directed at Mark Cuban AND there was audio to go with it, I tend to think at least some people aren't so much offended by the language as they are simply jumping at the opportunity to knock Kobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.